problems with 2000 lincoln ls

i just need some more opinions before i rip the thing apart. For the last couple days when i start the car i smell rotten eggs, so imediatly i think cat. i been usind mid grade gas from a mom pop gas station by my house and since this happend ive heard dont use there mid and regular, but damage is done. so i go get some sunoco ultra premium and go for a highway ride this has worked before for me with cat problems because most of my driving is short under 5min trips. well today i get a slight shake at idle it takes off fine but if im cruising and goto give it a lil gas not slam down but enough that it dont downshift i get a shake like bad wheelbearing shake.
Now im thinking its gotta be plugs or injectors but they are a bitch to get to on the v8 in there, is there anything else i should check first.

sounds like a misfire mostlikley plugs

Is the check engine light on?

lol

no its not throwing any codes other then an oil change soon light and that fix advancetrac which you allready had looked at and just dont want to pay $60 for the lincoln dealer to clear it. is it possible the sensor that caused that could cause this? im thinking plugs, wires, and cat first hopefully its not injectors. i just wanna get some input before i rip things apart hopefully theres something much simpler im overlooking.

and whats the lol for? you trying to get your post count up, or is there something worthwhile youd like to add to the thread?

First off …

Dont dump ANY cash at one of those cars … they are bad news bears … it’s just gonna come back and bite ya in the ass

swap out the plugs (if they arent a pain to do ) run 93 in it and do some WOT highway sprints (take a run down the 219 to springville and back) …

those cars a fucking money pits … Alt., hydro pump for the fan,HEADGASKETS …

ive had it for about 6 months and my only problem so far has been the window coming off its track. Its high miles but used to be a limo so maitenance was good. Ive never owned a ford and thought it would be much worse then it has been. i thought headgasket might be bad when i first started feeling the shake and my heart feel in my stomach but oil and coolant look good, only thing that was weird was the coolant looked dark allmost burnt but oil is absolutely fine for needing a change and theres no froth or foam in the coolant. i did notice that someone tried jacking the car up by the cross member and mustve missed because they ended up bending the radiator and condensor but no holes just a bitch to close the hood.

Those cars … it doesnt matter how well they are maintained … headgaskets will go without any signs off failure …

and this is not ford built … that car is ALL shitty Jag garbage

any idea around what miles they go at its at 140k now and like i said other then this new problem everythings been fine, maybe even this problem is just maitenance related

if the cat is infact plugged your car will be low on power and could possibly stumble and shake due to the restriction in the exhaust. Very common.

Rotten egg smell in my experience has always been a cat.

Especially with 140k miles that you have on this hulk.

Shop ebay for a couple aftermarket highflow universal cats and call it done.

Does yours have the 3.9L v8 tbird motor?

I never trusted these cars for some reason, its a shame that ford didn’t put the quality into this thing that the markviii’s have.

Its basically a piece of shit jag as far as I’m concerned.

its got that baby v8 in it

This statement is a little dramatic, but has some truth. I had a 2000 ls V8 for 5 years, and put almost 60K on it. It definitely started most of problems at 100K. If it hasn’t been done in the last 50K or so, you need to replace the valve cover gaskets. They leak oil (especially the circa 2000 seals) into the plug wells, and break down the rubber spark plug boots. It will miss a little at idle, then it will develop hesitation around 45 mph (overdrive, and converter lockup = high engine load) that will present like a transmission problem. Replace the valve cover gaskets, and the plugs while you’re in there. The boots can be bought from Napa for a few bucks. To get new gaskets or if you have to replace any of the coils, go to fordpartsonline.com. As for the smell, that’s likely a different problem.

If you do the work yourself, these are fairly cheap cars to repair/maintain. I found it to be one of the easiest cars to work on I’ve had.

I’ll be around next week, if you’d like I have the Ford service software for it.

i checked oil yesterday and it was about half quart low so i just topped her off (needs oil change anyways) and then today the engine light came on dont know if it had anything to do with the oil but it happened right after

Agreed

should have bought an evo :stuck_out_tongue:

But the CEL would be unrelated to the oil I would find out what the code is… prob a missfire code.

If you want to meet up this weekend, I can check the code for you and give you the Ford software.

I loved my LS, it was one of my favorite cars. I have a soft spot for these things.

that sounds great thanks for the offer