Product review: Sears damaged bolt extractor

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-10-pc-damaged-bolt-nut-remover-set-low-profile/p-00952166000P

Last spring when I went to put the snowmobiles away the ski tie down bar cranks were seized and I had to cut them off the trailer with a sawzall, leaving me with about 2" of threaded rod sticking out of my trailer.

Getting ready for a new season of snowmobiling I decided last night it was time to deal with this mess. Hit the threaded part with the MAPP torch then blasted them with my favorite penetrating oil. First I tried vice grips but they couldn’t get enough grip on the threaded rod. Then I remembered getting that bolt extractor kit a couple years ago for Christmas. Once I found the right size it bit into the threaded rod so well I was able to use my ratchet and a 2 foot pipe to back the seized part out. I highly recommend this product.

Here’s the offending bolt with the extractor still attached:

:tup:

I’ve got the IRWIN brand set and have used the shit out of them. Truly do work awesome.

You probably stripped the block on the inside, I feel like I replace these every year.

Block seems to be ok. We’ll see, I’m going to take the remnants to the hardware store tonight and figure out what thread they are.

You can get the handles at any snowmobile shop

Thank God I’ve never had a need for this, but have seen them. Nice to know they work.

Had mine 2 years before I found a use for them but don’t see how I would have got the bolt out without them.