pro's and con's... turbo charging vs supercharging

Turbochargers are inherently better for big power vs displacement. For the mild power you are looking for, a procharger should be an easy choice. If you decide to get into huge power, I think engine compartment turbo charging is the way to go. Rear mount turbo’s are garbage.

turbo + spray = win, MAKE SURE U BUILD IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

haven’t there been a million threads like this in the past? superchargers always end up on top…

turbo’s cause heat, heat causes problems…ranging from small, to burnt-to-the-ground cars…and aside from that, they restrict exhaust flow…and one more downside to a turbo is lag…but your motor makes enough tq, and you really won’t need instant spool…

but even after this, i still prefer my turbos over a supercharger…they’re so addicting…

supercharger for me as well, kens powerband on the cobra is fucking retarded… as well i would say NA ftw as well… orocs ls1 with heads/cam/intake was fast as fuck NA

well, as of now… I think I’m going to go for the supercharger. You guys made some good points

with that said… whats the difference between the P1 and D1 headunits from ati? I’m gonna keep looking around and hopefully find a deal… possibly even a vortech

I’d go with a magnusun in a heart beat, but I’m not baller enough :frowning:

Procharged :tup:
Either way, it’ll be fun enough to put that permagrin on your mug.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=669869&highlight=d1sc+p1sc
http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=541324&highlight=d1sc+p1sc

A couple threads that talk about the differences, pros and cons, etc etc…

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:7,topic:34561"”]

:lol: Go boosted…start down that path of dumping 20k into your car to make it reliable and fast…

Then when thats said and done…realize you just wasted all that money and sell said car to buy something more fun to drive on the street.

Are you still paying on this car? Do you have a DD all year round?

[/quote]

:wstupid:

Couldn’t have said it any better, except, why don’t you start talking to the FI’d LSX guys.

awesome, thanks for the links :slight_smile:

as for sinking money into the car… I guess you got to pay to play. One of the downsides of being a car guy :slight_smile:

this is going to be a weekend/nice day only car… otherwise, kept in the garage. If it breaks, no biggie

I am one of the few one here that has experience in all these fields, with some of the fastest cars IN those fields in the area…so these words you might want to listen to.

first and foremost, STS is NOT worth the money, and does not work the way it is supposed to without MAJOR modification to the setup, and even then, is far inferior.

that being said, push STS out of the way, and move on.

Remaining: Turbo companies go in and out of business weekly in the LSx world. some of them look nice, some of them look promising. most of them go in the shitter. ONE kit that i REALLY like for the GTO, that almost makes me want a GTO is the APS TT kit. its an aussie made setup, it is pretty complete, very high quality, and is a fairly reasonable price. There is no way that cant perform. Any other setup is a crapshoot; it may work awesome (if they ever send it), it may be poopy (if they ever sent it).

ATI Procharger: If i did it all over again, this is the way I’d go. Reason being, its a very complete setup, very organized, no cutting, you can keep your car traditionally together, its clean, its proven, and its fast. There are many different upgrades you can get as well.

one thing ive noticed between the two setups is that S/Cing brings with it considerably LESS maintenance than T/Cing a car. While i have a lot of fun in my car, all that power comes with a price. Chucks (Firehawk) car is around the same power level, and as far as the S/C aspect of the setup goes, there is less hassle. Which one is more fun to drive?.. that depends on the person. to me they are both a blast.

people can describe the differences in feel between these setups until they are blue in the face. it wont make a shit bit of difference. you are welcome to come by my place so we can shoot the shit about different setups, and you can take a ride in these type of cars. that is the only way you are going to have a more solid answer in your head as to what you want to do. then maybe we can hook you up with a setup :slight_smile:

told ya bill would have some imput

[quote=“95Z28,post:13,topic:34561"”]

Thats not one of the choices.

And I brought up the trap thing because it seems that most of the STS cars can throw down a nice trap speed but aren’t able to ET worth a shit.

[/quote]

yeah the STS kits are peaky, but still, if it traps 130 then its still making some good power

[quote=“90NA300ZX,post:23,topic:34561"”]

haven’t there been a million threads like this in the past? superchargers always end up on top…

turbo’s cause heat, heat causes problems…ranging from small, to burnt-to-the-ground cars…and aside from that, they restrict exhaust flow…and one more downside to a turbo is lag…but your motor makes enough tq, and you really won’t need instant spool…

but even after this, i still prefer my turbos over a supercharger…they’re so addicting…

[/quote]

oh and superchargers don’t produce heat ? :stuck_out_tongue:

also, restricting the airflow, aka causing a pressure differential, is one of the main factors in how the turbo makes power…

boost is boost, its just how u go about achieving it and when it comes on is what the difference is… sure lag sucks, but so does having 200 less whp and tq after 4000 rpm when you’re redlining at 7 and your shifts land you at 4000+ in the next gear… it all depends on what you’re looking for and how you design your setup

when will you people learn, turbos using exhaust have nothing to do with heat…

intake charge heat comes from compressing air, doesn’t matter how you compress it, turbo or sc, its compressing air so there will be an increase in heat.

For the power and the ease of installation and upkeep…supercharger.

A turbo’d GTO would be cool but not worth the hassle.

[quote=“mike125k,post:34,topic:34561"”]

when will you people learn, turbos using exhaust have nothing to do with heat…

intake charge heat comes from compressing air, doesn’t matter how you compress it, turbo or sc, its compressing air so there will be an increase in heat.

[/quote]

i was referring to the turbo itself heating up…

it’s way too easy for a turbo to heat up, and for grass/leaves/random garbage and/or paper on the street to get blown up under your car, and ignite when hitting the turbo…this is obviously worse case scenario…but still a possibility…

I think he was talking about how hot the equipment itself gets, as in lighting shit on fire.

Cue the GTI vid…

EDIT: See? I know all. :stuck_out_tongue:

It would come down to how much money you have, how much research you want to put in to the STS & how much knowledge you have with Turbo’s vs. Centrifugal superchargers vs. Twin screw/wipple chargers.

If is an STS with 4.6 liters V 8 with 93 mm bore, 84 mm stroke, 10.5 compression ratio, double overhead cam, variable valve timing/camshaft and four valves per cylinder LD8

I would go with this as a simliar set up: In a way for it to fit your caddy http://www.airpowersystems.com/corvette/c6.htm
http://www.airpowersystems.com/corvette/c6_3_4_f_eng.jpg

can you put a bov on a procharger jw???

they use a bypass valve