pros/cons: Mazda Vs VW

as a lot of you prob know, i will be selling or trading in my truck for something very soon. i was mainly looking at VW Jetta 1.8Ts, but i test drove a Mazda 6 yesterday, and heres what i foound:

the one i drove was a 4 cyl autotragic with the tiptronic thing and pretty much every option except leather and a sunroof, and it did ahev the sport package or whatever they call it.

i really would like to drive one of the V6 5 speed ones for comparison, but to be honest, the 4 cyl wasnt all that bad and the tiptronic wasnt that bad either. it would be nice if it had a little more power (which is y i want to look at a V6) but overall i really liked the car. the brakes felt really solid, it handled really good, and felt reallt comfortable.

if i were tog et a VW, i would do a few light mods, and there is obviously a big market for modding VWs, but i never hear anything about modded Mazda 6s. is this because there just isnt anything u can do to them? or do people just not mod them for whatever reason?

save your money and get a mazda 6 V6 with a MANUAL.

i’ve had many volkswagens. i advise against them. reliability is not their strong point. a few light mods do go a long way in a 1.8T though.

that was me. i forgot to log my room mate out.

i vote mazdaspeed6.

i heart volkswagens. but sometimes they dont always love you back and tend to have unexpected problems.

the jetta 1.8t is one of the least exciting, slowest cars…ever.
for the money you would be spending on either of these cars you could get … well, pretty much anything would be better.

ditto

mazdaspeed 6 = way out of my pricerange. should have mentioned that b4

+eleventybillion on the buying the VW being a bad idea.

I’d vote for the Mazda6 just for it’s reliability over the 1.8t. As well as many many other cars over that the 1.8t.

Try a honda S2k.

+1 for the Mazda6 though.

how much are you looking to spend?

between 10k and 15k

personally i LOVE the mazda6, and the VW’s are nice looking, but leave alot to be desired imo, and as said…reliabilty isnt their strongpoint.

+1 for mazda6 v6 manual

The normal Mazda 6 w/V6 5sp is very nice. I very nearly bought one last year. My vote is on that since the Mazdaspeed6 is out.

surprised the mazda6 5spds have come down that much

do it up man :slight_smile:

As awesome as the mazda6 v6 5 speeds are, I think they are kinda ugly. UNLESS they are black. (But thats just because im racist)

Anyway, the new jetta is pretty hot. Im suprised at how much I like how they look. BUT, its not the kind of car id want to keep for a while. Especially after the warranties run out. So, if you plan on keeping either car for a pretty long time, go with the MazzzzzzDa.

Interesting comparison. Why not Mazda3 vs Jetta or Mazda6 vs Passat? Anyhow, for that price range you could get a 1.8T with the works: heated leather, nice wheels, one touch sun roof, heated side view mirrors, Monsoon audio, etc. And with the addition of a GIAC tuning it would definitely be the faster car. I had a V6 autotragic Mazda6 for a rental for a couple of days a year ago and it honestly felt slow and anemic compared to my Jetta. Granted mine is a VR6 but it isn’t much quicker than a stock 1.8T.

BUT… you WILL have repairs for stupid shit in the VW that you won’t have to deal with in the Mazda. Because of that if you like them evenly then I vote Mazda. If you like the Jetta a lot and are willing to deal with some BS every now and again then go for it.

And don’t let the haters that chant VW SUCKS but don’t really know why they’re chanting it influence your decision. I.E. an non-turbo 300ZX driver calling a 1.8T Jetta slow. :stuck_out_tongue:

hey, he repainted it and got rid of the spoiler

i won’t say shit about anything he says til at least '07 for that

4th gen or 5th gen Maxima 5spd

Step 1: Buy Mazda 6
Step 2: Run two auto-xs with it
Step 3: Join Mazda Motorsports
Step 4: Get all of your OEM parts and many aftermarket upgrades at or below dealer cost.
Step 5: Keep your membership by running at least two auto-xs per year.

Try that with your VW…

BTW, Mazda pays contingency money for race wins, EVEN DRAG RACING at sanctioned events.

You could find a nice WRX with leather for the 10-15k range. :wink:

But in all honesty what are you looking for in a car?
Comfort? Reliability? Style? Speed? Uniqueness? Something to last you 5+ years? Practicality?