pros/cons: Mazda Vs VW

Yeah, the new pics of his car do look a ton better than the old pics. (I’ve never seen it in person.) His post just annoyed me.

I’m the first to admit that VW’s have issues, but I get annoyed at all the anti-VW bandwagoners. You can quantify excitement however you want. A mildly modded 1.8T is not slow. It’s not “fast”, but last I checked a car that can run mid 14’s is not the slowest car ever.

Don’t get the Jetta if you want zero problems. But I think of VW’s as macro-reliable, just not micro-reliable. You’ll have small BS along the way, but the motor will not grenade like your truck did. (The 1.8T is stout as hell.) You won’t be breaking transmissions. The anodized steel body won’t rust. They’re very safe cars. The 1.8T responds well to modding. etc. etc. etc. No it doesn’t have the build quality of a Japanese car, but it does have a lot going for it. They’re comfy as hell. You can easily put 200k on these cars as long as you’re willing to maintain them and deal with the occassional repair.

I must be tired and cranky. I’ve got a case of sandy VW vag…

is this true?
all mazdas?

the mazda 6 is a bit too large for me. if you are looking at cars that big then you should look at passats.

if your are only looking at mid teens, why the 6 and not the 3?

you’re looking at the wrong cars

Never ever, ever, ever, buy FWD.

My 2 cents.

yeah, i was just thinking that.

the mazda3 5spd is nice i test drove one a couple months ago.

yeah the mazda3 2.3 SE or SP or something has this really nice brown leather. i usually despise leather to the upmost but this looks and feels nice.

well, im looking for a 4 dooe sedan, has decent power, can be slightly modded easily to mkae more power, handles good, looks good, is reliable, fun to drive, and practical.
for those of you who have met me, u kno that i am a bigger guy (quite tall and fairly ‘built’ i guess u could say), which is possibly why i have been driving pickup trucks (it is, however, that i did somehow manage to shoehorn myself into my Porsche 944).

i kno the VW Jetta and Mazda 6 are a strange comparison, but when i looked at the Jetta, i found it to be very comfortable for my size. i dont really give a shit about the backseat (because i will never be sitting back there, and if people who are dont like it, fuck them they can drive thier own car!) or the truck space (because i dont golf lol).
there are a lot of things that i dont like about the Mazda 3 stylistcally (everything but the front clip lol) and it seems too small.

basically, i want something that i can drive for a few years and be happy with.

sidenote:
What I Don’t Want:
-NO HONDAS!!!
-no SUVs

Mazda 6 gets my vote. Did you look into the MS6? They’re currently running special promotion rate (.9, 1.9 and 2.9%).

didnt i race you with my jetta 1.8t and beat you? it was a red 300zx with big wing and white stripes…

both cars your looking at (with the posted engine options) dont fit your criteria.

neither will make any decent power without throwing gobs of cash at them. i stand by mt statement that you are looking at the wrong cars.

i really dont understand how you dont like the 3, but like the 6. the 3 looks very similar to the 6, only not bloated.

look at what i quoted… see it?

now go buy a used SRT4
:slight_smile:

I have owned a mazda 6 V-6 5-Speed for almost 3 years now. I have it slightly modded, I autocross… and I still enjoy my car :slight_smile:

I have 48000 miles, and she is still running very strong.

If you have any specific questions, comments, concerns, etc… just shoot me a PM. I’d be glad to help ya out :slight_smile:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=196216408&dealer_id=57465463&car_year=2004&mod_bookmark_id=null&search_type=both&num_records=&make=MAZDA&distance=50&model=MAZDA6&address=14227&certified=&advanced=&max_price=16000&bkms=1152458885225&min_price=1&end_year=2004&start_year=2004&isp=y&lang=en&cardist=15

done deal. I can’t speak for the transmissions in those but i know that the engines are very relaible and will out last the car. just rember 5K oil change not 3K it saves the customer money :slight_smile: low maintnance > *

i did see that on autotrader last week, actually. once i get done taking my engine out of my truck and have it sent off to be rebuilt, i should have some time this week to go look into that as well as a few other things.

don’t buy a 6. Mazda6 & “decent power” does not compute. My sister has had a 2.3 M6 for the last year or so… I can outrun it with my wifes 2.4L alero. Nearly outhandle it too.
I test drove a couple of M6 V6’s when getting rid of my trailblazer last month… NOT MUCH better. Still too heavy and unresponsive. Not enough aftermarket support for what You seem to be looking for.

And… Dont but a 1.8 VW.

i’m not suprised that the 2.3 is slow its only 160hp right? what i don’t understand is why mazda lists the V6 for having 215hp and why the ford fusion lists it for 221 i doubt anything is different on the engines. while its not a huge power maker they do ahve a good suspention and brake after market, but just like any car teh V6 doesn’t get the modders love.

wait it out for the mazdaspeed3?

F T W

/thread

Not enough aftermarket support?

Here is one store that has a lot of the items…
http://therpmstore.com

The only thing that really hasn’t completely taken off with the 6 cylinder version is a turbo, only because of the computer system.

But, besides that… there are tons of parts available…

If you want to find out more, you can go to:

http://mazda6club.com
http://mazda6tech.com

Two great sites I venture to often

Volvo S60 5 speed AWD

turbo, 86k but it’s a volvo so should have an easy 100k left without much trouble.