pros/cons: Mazda Vs VW

lol…

Ive long been cruising Mazda6tech, MazdaForums, Focaljet, etc., communities. :slight_smile: I’ve a few various mzr parts in my garage at the moment, and I cant get rid of them for anything. :frowning:

If He is looking for a car that is fun, easy to mod, cheap to mod effectively, and in the 10-15k price range… I still vote against the Mazda6.

Everything that I’ve seen in Mazda6 forums for the last 3-4 months boils down to: CAI, Catback exhaust and the occasional overpriced header(s), MAF w/reflash, and turbo kit daydreamers.

The car is still heavy. I still hate the auto trannies. I still think the 3.0 is too restrained by the factory. I still think that if there were more USER level support on the ECU side, the car could be a lot more fun. But it’s still heavy and needs susp. rework.

No, not aftermarket support for the thread starter.

Then again, we’re talking about a guy who rocked out a Ext Cab Pickup truck for a year thinking that it was sporty. :gotme:

oyyy You always take offense to Mazda6 comments.

lol… a CAI, a lightweight Flywheel, and a Clutch. WOW!

Ive been keeping up on Mazda6’s for family reasons for the last 6-8 months. I’ve been hanging around Mazda6tech, MazdaForums, FocalJet, and a few more for over a year now due to a side priject with the MZR / D23. I keep abreast of most of the major Chassis topics.

I recommend he doesnt buy either for quite a few reasons. You really want to know?

NADA (not KBB, no one uses that) FAIR RETAIL value for his truck (stock parts, none of the shit he’s done to it) is ~10.5k right now. He owe’s ~10k.

He’d be lucky to get 8k trade in value (considering actual auction pricing). Let say He only has to roll in $2k.

Now he’s down to 8-13k for a sale price. Not accounting for taxes & fees, sales tax alone on a $13k vehicle will be another $1k.

All that being said, I don’t know Mike’s personal finances, but judging by his month old statements here, I don’t think a $15k vehicle loan on a 12k vehicle is the best choice for him:

Of course, He’s going to spend $500 - $1500 fixing his truck regardless. Now, if he wants to live outside of his means, that’s entirely up to him. :tup: I mean, a $15k, 48mo loan @ 9% is only $437 monthly. :shrug:

Not even accounting for standard, generic VW hate… most VW guys will even tell You to stay away from 1.8Ts.

Even YOU cleanbaldy will admit that the mzr2.3L is weaksauce. There are THREE mazda6 cars on Autotrader right now (within 300 miles and less then $12k) and NONE on getauto.com, Of the three, only one of them is at a dealer and it’s a 2.3L. Of the remaining two private sellers, 1-4c & 1-6c. Ironically, one is being sold for “college money” per the ad.

Now, assuming some magically cheap and good condition Mazda6 becomes available AT A DEALER so that he can trade in the Pickup, he still wants to mod the car. Cool. Please consider that You cannot go on the internet, or to PepBoys and buy EASY WHP EFFECTIVE mods for Mazda6 cars. See quote

Mind you, Mikey here took his injectors to PepBoys to see if they can be cleaned. He’s got a learning curve to grow through, and a Mazda6 is not the easiet car to learn with. Also, the “bolt ons” for the Mazda are neither cheap, nor readily available. And Mikey is still living in “Mikeys World” where money is nonexistent cause he has another car note.

So, why should we recommend that he get a “mid size” 4 door car?

He’s gonna keep this one a few years and then (assumingly) graduate college and trade this car in on something a little more baller (cause he’ll have that 7334 college edumacation and can get a big paying J-O-B). So, why, should he finance a $400+/month car for the next 3-4 years of college?
A car that has LITTLE user level support when compared to MANY, cheaper, readily available, OBD I cars?

Do I really need to go on?

Granted, this is all just IN MY OPINION, so feel free to get upset about it :slight_smile:

It’s like the new GrandAm.

Used SRT-4 or used WRX. Or buy a beat Civic like me and save your cash for a real car. No car payment + dirt cheap insurance + 40mpg = I could care what my car looks like.

holy Nick runnin’ shit like he’s gettin’ a check from it :tup:

give an up for NADA guides.

anyway, obd1, 220bhp, 4drs, stick, ATB diff? hmm. you like flying under the radar?

i might jsut end up keeping my truck for a while longer, the more i tear into my engine, the worse its getting. i may end up just getting a coupple hundred dollar beater for the winter again and see where im at in another year.

damn right :smiley:

Don’t by a VW. I don’t want to listen to you bitch when it breaks.

lol… no check here, hes not one of my clients :smiley: just trying to help someone to not make the same mistakes as so many others.

FUCKINNNNNNNNNNG AAAAAAAAA RIIIIIIIIIIIGHT

That’s a good idea. Don’t rush into anything, take your time when buying a car. There is always a better deal out their you just have to find it.

awesome choice. once you own a swede, you will forever be in love with them.

S2000. End of thread.

um… yea I’m going to go ahead and have to agree with you there. S2K baby.

gotta love those who are comparing a 1.8T jetta to an S2k.

btw, don’t buy a VW. mazdaspeed3…be patient son.

lol i saw this coming, and i foresee another thread like this in a month lol

My dad has a mazda6, with v6, 5sp, leather. very nice and well rounded car he enjoys it very much, keeps up with my rx8. Pretty soon they should be releasing the mazdaspeed 3, but is going to be sold only in the station wagon format. 250 hp in that car would get you saying “zoom zoom”

^
anything keeping up with an RX8 isnt saying much. my ghey ass saab does, and its far from fast or quick, or even peppy.

yeah, becasue that fits the criteria
(but i agree)

LS1…orrrrrrr e30 m3

You of all people should know better than to use the 1/4 mile as the sole criteria from which to evaluate performance… :stuck_out_tongue:

There are better comparable choices in that price range. Like mentioned b4 SRT-4 and WRX are ur best bet

!