PS rack without PS?

So, my power steering pump is fucked. like most from my demographic (college student), Im broke and cant really afford a new power steering pump ATM. My question is, can i mess the steering rack up by running it without the pump?

Keep fluid in it and pull the belt off of the pump and it will not hurt anything. Plus you can build some sweet forearm muscle.

You have to drain some of the fluid out if the rack or else you will be fighting against too much pressure.

[quote=“ezfd,post:3,topic:35884"”]

You have to drain some of the fluid out if the rack or else you will be fighting against too much pressure.

[/quote]

You don’t run the rack dry

you loop the powersteering lines…

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:4,topic:35884"”]

[/quote]

+1

[quote=“FormulaLS1,post:4,topic:35884"”]

[/quote]

What he said

i ran my 91 ka for ~3000 miles and ~8 months with no fluid and the pump still spinning. didnt hurt anything

ive been running my 951 for a year or so like that. Its not that bad when you get used to it

i removed the pump and looped the lines in the fd, at first i left the fluid in the rack and it was pretty tuff to turn, so i drained out most of it. I made sure to leave enough for lubrication and it seems to work fine now, i really dont even miss it unless i’m parellel parking.

alright, thanks for the info guys.