PTO time if fired

I separated from my job today (lost of bullshit back story, already start a new job on monday)

But I havent been able to find a clear answer online so I figured I’d check here just to see

At the beginning of the year, they rolled out sick, vacation and personal time into one “PTO” bank.

I keep finding mixed answers, does anyone her know if I am entitled to any of that or if im just leaving behind damn near 90 hours of time

I know I got fucked out of vacation time when I quit my last job. Only two days so not a huge deal but theyre not required to reimburse you for it.

wonder if its different from leaving/being fired. I’ll have to call my lawyer in the morning

AFAIK, you’re only entitled to your vacation time by law.

Edit: the fact that it’s combined into one is interesting. They didn’t differentiate it whether you took sick or personal or vacation? How about holiday? It was all one bank of hours?

Pretty sure this is true, but since it’s all rolled into one for him it’d be hard to argue which is which. My dealership does the same thing, and in our contracts, we’d be entitled to whatever time was accrued for the year (as we’re use it or lose it types). We get like, 1.67hrs for every week of working per year (starting), so after three weeks, if I get fired I’d get 4hrs of time owed to me.

Alot of places are combining sick & personal, but leave holidays and accrued vacation time separate; usually to keep track of how much ‘accrued’ time is available- as opposed to sick/personal time which they like to think of as a ‘bank’ that all their employees use.

Same thing with the state they pay you for vacation time if there is a seperation, up to i believe 225 hours (30 days).

it depends on how you are granted the time, if you accrue vacation and sick time based on how many hours you worked (which is how it works everywhere one way or another) then you are entitled to what you have accrued, at my last job you accrued your time in hours (they capped you at 300 hours of vacation time and 30 hours of sick time) i got a check for everything i had earned up until the day i left. at my job now i am granted 16 vacation/sick/personal days and 8 payed holidays. that is in exchange for one year of working for the company so if i were to leave after 6 months into a new year, i would only be entitled to 8 days of vsp pay and up to 8 hours of holiday pay if i didnt use the “floating holiday”

I’m pretty sure when its a PTO bank its considered use it or lose it and if you have not used it before separation occurs it counts as losing it. Thats how it worked for me when I was regional b2b sales rep for Fedex. I put in my two weeks and was going to vacation my way out another 2 weeks but as soon as I had resigned my position I lost right to paid time off

It depends on a few factors. I get 9 hours + 2 hours of sick time every two weeks. Its all named as CLT, but used separately. For me it is “earned” time so no matter what, if I left I would get paid for whatever is accrued.

When my wife quit Ellis she got a little over $2000 for all the time she had accrued. Then again she quit and gave two weeks notice and the time had to be approved by her supervisor to okay the check they have her. Idk how it works if you get fired

Long story short:

I can carry over any unused time.

I accrue time every week.

Apparently their lawyers found some type of loop hole where you forfeit it once your employment ends, either on good or bad terms. Doesnt shock me, I see this company screw over insurance companies on a daily basis.

Honestly glad to be separated from the company, working 6-7 days a week was wreaking havoc on my health and personal life.

Within 24 hours of being let go, I had 3 companies call me to come in to interview (clients at work that had tried to lure me away in the past)

Such is life

When I was fired from my job many, many moons ago, I had accrued like 80 hours of PTO. They were forced to give it to me under NYS law. I would contact the Department of Labor and see what they say.

This may help a little?

http://www.davidrichlaw.com/new-york-business-litigation-and-employment-attorneys-blog/2010/10/must-my-company-in-new-york-pay-a-terminated-employee-for-his-earned-but-unused-vacation-days/

coles blows man…

I didnt want to say anything about it when ya were there out of respect to you being employeed there. Butttt i guess I can now.

They fucked ALOT of people over in the last year and change since I started CRC. Some jobs came back to me to fix. One guy took a 2010 grand cherokee there, they dicked him saying it took forever to get parts and shit, took 2 months to fix a side swipe, paint runs not buffed out, managed to run the damn basecoat on the back 1/4 even, looked like a 2 yearold fingerpainted the seamsealer around and looked like hell. turned his heat on and got a face full of filler dust! I wont go on with the rest, but since you no longer are there and saw what went on… consumers beware. this isnt just CRC hunting for work either. I am a firm beliver that hack in&out work like that shit just brings the entire industry in the area down. People pay BIG money for body work, and shit results make the value of decent work still go down. I know you arent the guy in charge there and just did your job as they asked, not holding you accountable or anything just speaking my mind so dont take it the wrong way my friend.

Good to know about Coles, but he worked at H&V…

hahhahahahahahaha

LOL

OPPS

info is still valid though.

Your work must be 100% flawless with the way you talk about other shops/workers. Must have been the 8th day.

simple, CALL HR AND ASK THEM…

never said I dont make mistakes, if I do I bend over backwards to fix them for people. I thought he worked for coles… and mentioned "Doesnt shock me, I see this company screw over insurance companies on a daily basis. " So I said my piece. I could careless if people flock to those places and take business from me. If they are unhappy with it, and give me a shot and like it I am fine with that. Just trying to save some people some trouble, even if they decided to take it to someone other than me. Like I said too, I stand by the fact that unsatifactory work drives local value down. For every 1 car I do body work wise, places like that pump out 20. If a few of them lack the pride and quality in the work yet carry the same price tag… value sinks. and makes it that much harder for me to “sell” my 1 lonesome wreck.

I dont piss awesome, I just take pride in my carreer path.

I’ve talked to the hr department, they basically told me to go fuck myself.

They did so much shady shit it was amazing. Charge insurance companies for a Tom of parts, wait to get the check after the job was done then I return parts and they keep the money