Public Education System

Yes, but that’s more of the fairy tale land talk right there. It’s Elliott Spitzer in a nutshell really. I want to increase funding for this, that and the other thing, but cut taxes too. It sounds great, and stupid people buy into it, but you need only look at history to see what happens. The spend part happens, there is a shortfall, and taxes go up to make up for it.

You want to take all the money we’re dumping in Iraq and put it toward education, fine by me. Show me a real plan on how to get out of there that won’t result in us just going back in five years when it’s ten times worse and I’ll vote for it. And please don’t give me, “well I wouldn’t be there in the first place”. Both our parties voted to go, so we’re both responsible for getting out. Even regardless that fact, you can’t change the past. Getting up there like Hillary and John and saying, “I want a timetable for leaving” doesn’t solve the problem.

But, lets get back to the simple fact that no one is addressing… Buffalo already spends more per child than Williamsville. We’re talking about exact opposite ends of the spectrum there; the number one school in the county, vs the dead last school in the county. So what makes you think more money is the answer? Shouldn’t we first audit the system and find out why they aren’t able to produce bright young minds with the same or more money being invested per child? Because lets face, every dollar spent on education is just that, an investment. We’re spending money betting that by making these kids smart they’ll grow up and put more into the system than we put into them.

Or, to put it another way, lets say I own two companies that both produce tires. Company A spends $100 per tire, and cranks out a great product. Company B is spending $150 per tire, and their tires are constantly delaminating, don’t grip well, and are just generally poor. Would it be a smart business plan for me to simply say, “Well, Company B just needs more money. If I give them $200 a tire maybe it will get better”? Of course not, I’d go in and look at what the hell is going on at Company B. Maybe Company B’s union is costing me too much, so of that $100 a tire only $25 is actually going into the tire, the rest is lining the pockets of the employees. Maybe Company B is getting a inferior raw materials, so unless I go to the supplier and get them to straighten up, I’m never going to get a good tire. Maybe Company B’s employees simply don’t give a shit, and figure they’re guaranteed a job so why bother trying harder. Probably it’s a big combination of all of the above, but I can guarantee that dumping more money in won’t solve anything, just like when your “business” is taking uneducated kids and turning them into smart ones.