Pulling harmonic balancer??

I’m trying to pull the balancer off but it seems too hard. I have a socket wrench with 18 inches of extension on it and one foot on the engine so it doesn’t tip. The engine is not in a car. Do some balancers require superhuman strength or what? The pullers a rental and I don’t want to break it nor my socket wrench. Sprayed some lube on it, would getting a small butane torch help alot?

Did same one in my other car and it came out like nothing.

1/2th inch breaker bar, or impact it off(if you have good gun and comprsser)

Somehow managed to break one end of the balancer where the puller attaches,I was using a 1 size tire iron which is probably stronger but was off balanced trying to hold the engine down. O well I have a few other options to get it off. My friend has an impact gun but I’m not sure if the puller will sit offset from the grooves with alot of pressure.

you guys are meant for eachother

awwwww… very powerfull words:bigclap:

I would think your best bet would be to heat it up with at the very least a map torch.

Ya I’ll do this after christmas, I can get it off a few different ways but would rather not have to cut it off cause it’ll be a pain avoiding the rod.

didnt you junk this thing yet

first is the bolt out? I ask because you seem kind of retarded. Second is this on a stand or on the ground? The puller needs to be on correctly and it should be removable with a breaker bar.

And I would junk a car I just bought? Maybe you should learn to read, it helps.

If I was retarded I would just continue trying before asking with no regard to something breaking.
Its on the ground. It didn’t take nearly this amount of force with my last one and I was thinking it may break something. I have to offset the puller now that the one spot where the arm goes, which shouldn’t be smaller then the rest, is broken. I am going to get someone else to hold the engine down.

So the puller will take as much force as I put into it without breaking, the rental one seems like something you’d get at harbor freight.

On a neon, which is what I am assuming you are working on based on your signature, you need a special puller. Generally a three jaw puller works fine. However they are still a bitch to pull. Heat is not necessary, a good puller is and some air would be nice. I suggest buying a craftsman as it won’t shit the bed too fast like a harbor freight but will eventually fail and it will at least have a lifetime warranty.

Good luck

Well being one of the pistons is chipped I am getting another crankshaft which means I won’t have to take off this balancer.

god, i never even knew what a harmonic balancer was before this thread.

also called a underdrive pulley, but thats more for aftermarkter ones. Not sure what make them different besides weight and less enersha or w/e.

An underdrive pulley? Really?

Do i really need to continue on with my rant or should i just stop right there?

Do what Carnut said.

Also, next time you work on an engine do yourself a favor and put it on a stand or have a friend help you with it. Or just plain have the right tools.

This is on a neon?? Go to the parts store and get the Chrystler Harmonic Dampener puller! Using anything but that is just going to damage it and your car. Its a 2 minute job with the right tool, and nothing will break. You will probably need a new one now, if you damaged that one you are pulling off.

lol.

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj285/FinalBLight/roflcopter.gif

good god you have a flash pass for the fail boat don’t you?