Putting Mobil 1 Extended Performance to the test...

It’s a Porsche thing…Nikasil cylinder + hardface rings during break-in require a very low detergent dino oil to seat properly. When the motor is assembled I’ll wipe the bores dry of any excess oil that the bore surface doesn’t soak up in the microscopic pores to assist in the initial break-in. But couple that with bearing clearances in the bottom end of ~.001-.0012" and you really need the ZDDP during the initial breakin. I mix my own break in oil using a JG dino 5w30, ZDDP, and a couple other things for these motors. That oil goes in for the first 20 minute run, and then goes in for the initial 500 mile change.

Thereafter, I’ll run an off-shelf semi synth/synth in a weight determined by the motors application and bearing clearances. In the case of this motor, a 5w20-5w40 synth.

Porsche had an oil change regiment for the 986’s when they came out…15k miles on the oil and 30k miles for the filter. Too bad a good portion of the motors didn’t last long enough to make it to their first oil change :haha