Putting Mobil 1 Extended Performance to the test...

:rofl :rofl

I was just going to type NOPE! but then I remembered Chuck Testa and had to go make that. :lol

It’s a Porsche thing…Nikasil cylinder + hardface rings during break-in require a very low detergent dino oil to seat properly. When the motor is assembled I’ll wipe the bores dry of any excess oil that the bore surface doesn’t soak up in the microscopic pores to assist in the initial break-in. But couple that with bearing clearances in the bottom end of ~.001-.0012" and you really need the ZDDP during the initial breakin. I mix my own break in oil using a JG dino 5w30, ZDDP, and a couple other things for these motors. That oil goes in for the first 20 minute run, and then goes in for the initial 500 mile change.

Thereafter, I’ll run an off-shelf semi synth/synth in a weight determined by the motors application and bearing clearances. In the case of this motor, a 5w20-5w40 synth.

Porsche had an oil change regiment for the 986’s when they came out…15k miles on the oil and 30k miles for the filter. Too bad a good portion of the motors didn’t last long enough to make it to their first oil change :haha

I’m also seeing how far a Corolla will go on a timing belt…

106K and counting (was changed at 150K). My friend that’s been a service advisor at a big name Toyota dealer in IL has never seen a Corolla break a belt unless the water pump seized. Praying that I’m close to home/heat/cell service if it breaks.

Interference motor?

Nope, that’s why I’m not too concerned. I’ll inspect it one of these days. lol.

agreed need it or not i change my oil every 2,900 miles lol close to 3,000 but ive never gone over that, better safe than sorry, my moms vehicle the dealer told her every 8k or something she still does it every 3k to every on in my family is same way lol

You’re pissing away money. My 1991 Civic had about 302403943204932093509 miles on it, original motor, and the oil was changed every 10k as per the owners manual since new.

worst one I did was my subaru around the 130K mark, we didnt change it until it couldnt get up this small hill by my parents house… 160+kmi mark. the change was a hodge podge of what ever oil was on the shelf when it was changed too. the 30K oil came out looking like molasses. Oil change made it feel like a 50 shot! lol

also the hodge podge of different weights and shit, ran for another 20K until I decided to change it. Didnt look as bad as the first “experiment” either.

car died of electrical issues at 230Kmi. Never smoked, leaked, left me stranded, and ran like a champ.

/long winded pbj

I just like the buttery feel you get after an oil change. I do mine every 5K though I think that’s in the vicinity of what my manual says anyway.

I believe I read at one point that there’s actually negative affects from changing oil too soon (other then the obvious waste of money). Since I’m bored at work, I’ll look into it now with facts to back that up.

My Jetta’s oil change interval is 10k miles. I plan on sending my oil in for analysis on the next change (within 500miles). This will be the engines second oil change.

yea im intrsted in that, and wasting that lil money dont bother me since it takes me 6 months to put on 3k miles haha my DD the 2001 dodge neon has 40k original miles on it:)

Update-

3K on oil, needs 1/2 a quart added. Typical use for this car. Quart was 7.82 at Wally World.

My Subaru changes it’s own oil.

I just keep a quart or two in the trunk for when it requests a fresh delivery.

:shifty