Quebec permanately bans RHD vehicles.

It sees like one of the only things that Canada is useful is soon to be history.

As a Canadian and an ex RHD owner, this hits hard. After a long period of restricting importation and registration of RHD cars, Quebec has finally gone all the way and banned RHD cars completely. The Quebec gov’t imposed the long ban on RHD cars to “research the safety hazards” of RHD cars, and apparently they were not safe enough to operate. Alas, RHD cars can no longer be imported and registered in Quebec. Of course, RHD cars that have already been registered will be grandfathered, but this will cause even more issues for RHD car owners. Quebec’s decision will affect all of Canada, as it sets a precendent for the other provinces and territories. Now, other provinces may feel pressure to limit the registration and use of RHD cars. Also, many related businesses in Quebec will be forced to close, potentially putting thousands out of work.

I believe this drastic move was unnecessary and unfounded. The Quebec government simply has no proof to show that RHD cars are much less safe than their LHD counterparts to ban them completely. There are no statistics to show for it, and the people of Quebec were not consulted before the decision was made. In a modern, democratic society, major decisions affecting thousands can’t be made on a whim. Quebec’s government has always been sketchy and controversial in the past, so this move wasn’t incredibly surprising. Now we’ll have to wait and see how this decision affects the other provincial governments.

It seems that the rest of the Canada could follow suit.

http://blufaction.wordpress.com/2010/04/25/quebec-permanantly-bans-rhd-vehicles/

Putting thousands of jobs of importing vehicles out of business and pissing off countless members of auto community.

:retardclap

If you think that is all Quebec is good for, then you’ve got a lot of learning to do:vlad

Old news.

so what does the mailman do in Quebec these days? Deliver by horse?

Soooo we don’t live in Canada AND maybe two members total have RHD. Why should we care again?

1. A lot of appealing RHD cars in Canada are approaching the magical age of 25.

2. It’s still a source to get a lot of parts nearby, including motors - that’s where Japan star gets their stock from and has the main warehouse.

3. It hinders the scene one was or another and sets a bad precedent for banning cars without any factual data or research to back it up.

I’m sure a week and a half delay in delivery of the news wasn’t crucial for the members, however the information potentially was.

Japan Star is a piece of shit sheister company.

ehh, i highly doubt 1000s of people will be out of a job. maybe 100s if anything. they can still import front and rear clips and sell them. not a big deal to me, ill be able to import a rhd car in a few years if i want. shit i might convert it to LHD since i live in the USA and we drive on the right side of the road!

As far as permanently banning them, yes, that is somewhat new news.

They started a year ago temporarily:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2009/05/06/righthand-drive.html

It’s not gonna really put that many people out of jobs, and all the old cars would be grandfathered in. Quebec is just ONE province in one of the largest countries in the world (geographical, not population). I doubt the rest of Canada will follow Quebec’s ways, because as stated in your link, Quebec has been sketchy before in these situations.

“not safe enough to operate”:retardclap:retardclap:retardclap:retardclap

but this is totally cool on the roads
http://www.myoldtruck.com/gallery/files/8/1/4/Rusty.jpg

Who cares?

jdm fanboiz.

I don’t know why it’s a big deal. I’ve seen the number of Skylines for sale multiply because of this. Countless threads on another forum “selling because they don’t allow RHD in Quebec.”
All of the people in the US are crying because they can’t get an illegally imported Skyline from Quebec now (which would’ve been seized at the border anyways, even before this event).

IF Canada does this nation wide the US will surely follow

If the current cars are grandfathered in, I will surely be hoping it happens.

But it won’t. The US, in rural areas and such, uses sub-contracted mail delivery drivers which use RHD cars. That’s why every so often you’ll see a RHD Legacy wagon, even some Fords and Jeeps somewhere. They were imported for mail delivery.

If anyone remembers I believe that one rhd legacy wagon Byron had was originally a mail car that someone got their hands on and swapped.

I wonder if the grandfathered in cars are only for the current owners. If you sell said go it is no longer grandfathered. Though I heard something about that

Yea, I remember that wagon. He got it a small section in Super Street, I believe it was either when his STi was featured, or something around the time of the Nopi tour.

Cool car for sure. I was it was the generation after that though, those models looked sick.