Question about cylinder head

So im in the process of gathering Forged internals etc for my rebuild on my d16z6. And Im Having somebody from the board rebuild it for me. So i was bored today and took the head off. Now I didn’t Have plans To rebuild the head But I don’t know if everything Is ok on the head. I took some pics maybe it would help 2 Of the valves were sticking out of the bottom of the head a little bit. I don’t know if thats normal or not.

well since you have a cam in it is normal for the valves to be sticking out some. As far as if we can tell if it needs to be rebuilt/refreshed, that requires taking it apart to check the parts out. Whats the mileage on it? Certainly can’t hurt to have it checked if you are doing a boosted build.

unknown mileage bought motor off board I would love to rebuild it my self kinda scared though lol :frowning:

Hah, yeah, that normal, since the cam is in there still!

K thanks for the info I’m a newb when it comes to internals

As already stated it’s normal considering the cam is still installed. I would recommend not setting it down on the deck surface with the valves open like that as you could possibly damage them then.

Rebuilding the head is always a good idea on a fresh engine.

↑, X2. If your gonna rebuild the bottom why not do the top.

^ def a good idea even if not a rebuild its nice to just have it apart check everything make sure its all in spec considering u dont know the mileage and clean everything up.

[quote=Birdman;1339005]^ def a good idea even if not a rebuild its nice to just have it apart check everything make sure its all in spec considering u dont know the mileage and clean everything up.[/quote

I agree there is just so many diff setups out there Carnut will be building the motor if somebody gives me a parts list ill just buy it for everything ill need for rebuild some people say use vitaras some people say not to :frowning: Im just so lost on what to buy My goals aren’t crazy high only 300 350 whp for now without spending 4000$ I was looking to spend around 1000 for internals I just don’t know what to fn buy especially with the different thickness of head gasket bore etc if anybody could recommend a good setup let me know

^ if not doin anything real crazy a stock head will hold up to ur power goals id just make sure nothing is bent or cracked ect in the head b4 slapping it on and as for hg thickness that all really depends on compression but usually just stock thickness is fine and bore size obvesilly depends on if ur boring the block or not

If Don is doing it he can suggest a good setup for you no problem.

So I Think im going to go with this http://fjdistributors.com/product_info.php?cPath=38_46&products_id=170

for 300

A seat of eagle rods for 300

and arps for 115

seems like the best route for my setup

Take it to Jim’s Cylinder Head Service on Hinman…