Question about exhausts..

Well, im thinking of re-doing the exhaust but i have a question first…

is there a law here that says the exhaust has to exit after the rear axle?

i want to do a downpipe>cat>glasspack>spiral flow>90* bend then dump out under the car…like so…
http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/426/sideexhaustrq7.jpg

thanks

does it really matter?
If its louder than stock, its illegal anyway.
Edit: do you really want exhaust to exit under your car when you are stuck in traffic?

i never venture out into bumper to bumper traffic, but if i do, its not a problem and the guys i know running this on their turds have never had a problem with heat.

and as far as how loud it is, its not loud at all really, i’ve heard much louder on most hondas… i’ll get a sound clip…

still didnt answer my question though.

EDIT: here is a decent clip, second car from last, teal one (5th car i believe)… not too loud and sounds much better than what i have i think.
http://www.team-crm.com/video/bridgeflyby.wmv

To answer your question, there is no law about where the exhaust has to exit (roush mustangs, vipers ect w/sidepipes) but the law somewhat says you can not modify your exhaust from it’s stock form.

Bottom line is that it is illegal in one way or another. Just not 100% enforced.

thats pretty much what i wanted to know…

i know that anything you do to your car tht isnt stock is illegal. and if that was truely enforced, 60% (just throwing a random number out there) of the cars now a days would be illegal and would be getting tickets.

The definition of loud varies.

I just redid my cav exhaust.
28" magnaflow resonator and brullen straight through “quiet” muffler…

It’s still pretty loud, but I never heard anyone say it sounds bad, even before I added the resonator

I had thoughts of a nice side exit to avoid running it up and over the twist beam, but I figured I had the muffler and the bumper was already cut out :smiley:

this is true. everyone thinks differently of their exhausts.

i want to do this for ease of installation/removal and all the saturns i have heard it on have sounded good… and with my cams i think it would sound really nice in my car.

If you are doing it DIY, it is a REAL PITA to do it with a car on stands.

i did the whole exhaust that on there now on stands… wasnt too bad. i can weld everything up while its off the car and then put it on the car, thats what i did before.

Looks like it would be a serious safety issue.

You’re dumping all that heat right under your gas tank basically. Ever put your hand in front of an exhaust pipe of an idling car on a hot day? Dumping all that hot air under the car, where it will then rise and get stuck in every little pocket (like the one the tank sits in) seems like a bad plan.

Plus you run the risk of having carbon monoxide find it’s way into the car.

Seems like a really stupid idea to me.

like i have said before. ite been done without any issues before. no one has had any fumes coming into the car and no one has had heat issues.

exhaust ending prior to the axle is tacky/redneckish imo

I think you would be best just to bring it all the way to the back of the car to avoid any issues down the road.

how is this desirable? do you think it will look or sound better?

its so much easier to put in place and swap out when its like that. i like the sound better as well, there is less drone when cruising on the highway. not to mention its wayyyyy cheaper. also think it looks cleaner as well.

this is still up in the air right now, im going to have a custom exhaust of some sort and i dont know if this is the way i want to go. all i really wanted to know was if anyone knew if there was a law against it or not.