Question about inspection/emissions

If all goes as planned, I will have my sr20 240sx next week. My main question about inspection falls under the visual part. Obviously no cars ever had the sr20 in america so will this pose a problem for the visual part? Also, as with any jap spec engine theres no egr, i’m not worried about the emissions since its just gonna be a street cruiser, I won’t drive it more than 5k a year, but will this cause me to fail the visual too?

Might be a dumb question, but I never had a car with a jap spec engine before, i’ve built all Mopars.

I don’t know specifically about the engine question, but most places don’t seem to check the visual stuff. Just make sure to take it somewhere that doesn’t. And it has to be over 365 days since the last emissions test to qualify for the <5K exemption.

Ya, i’m cool with the exemption, Most likely its going to have to go through it once, but thats fine, I can get it to the point where it will pass. I just wanted to make sure the EGR woudln’t be to big of a deal. I know plenty of places that do the good ol’ ‘ya, its cool’ inspection.

where is the car going to be registered? best bet is to find someone to sticker it for you, rather than trying to make it pass legitimately

Just make sure there’s no “emissions” diagram on the underhood of the car. Not like mechanics memorize every car’s emissions systems. If there is no diagram, they’ll just do the sniffer and call it a day, and you should be fine.

I COULD register it in Ohio at my uncles address, but i’ll most likely register in here, I live in Mckees Rocks, If I throw a cat on the car, I don’t forsee it failing the sniffer 1 time, after that it won’t be a issue since I should be able to get exempt every year after. Plus, I don’t think i’ve ever poped a hood and could just look and see the EGR system. Those are generally something you have to LOOK for. Guess i’ll find out when I go for inspection with it.

if it’s registered in a non I/M county it’ll be subject to visual, other than that it should be a tailpipe

well this is going to all depend on what year the car is? Do you have a check engine light on? cats? What county is the car titled in.

car is a 1990, I took a short drive in it no CEL came on, it doesn’t have a cat, but for inspection/emmission purposes it will, and its going to be registered in Allegheny County.

Well as long as you have had the car registered for more then a year and are under 5,000 miles you should get the exempt. As for the state. odds are there going to rack the car to pull wheels to check for brake linneings and will probly take to make sure there arent any exhaust leaks and they might see the missing cat. then the tech might fail you for both. Try to take it somewhere where they dont really look over the cars…

Dont even tell them that its a motor swap. If you do they might start pokeing around…

Dude, you’ll be fine, just as long as the basic safety stuff is ok, glass, brakes, suspension, headlights, signals, etc, they won’t even blink. 90 is old to them, you’ll have to pass the sniffer the first year, which will be cake, particularly with a brand new cat, then you’ll be exempt after that. Don’t sweat it, and don’t tell them anything, just go for a normal inspection.

^^ that was pretty much my plan, I actually need to double check when the last inspection on the car was. When I looked at the car I didn’t really pay attention to the stickers on the front or plate to see when it all expired. I might actually luck out and be exempt already. If not, i’ll just pick up a cat for it, throw it on the sniffer and be done with it.

pass the sniffer and you will have no problems!

and just for reference, the sr20de came in the spec v. this will be nice to know when you need an oil filter!

I’m pretty sure they used the SR20DE in B13 and B14 SE-R’s. IIRC And my friend is telling me that they also used it in the B15 SE, the spec v uses/used the QR25.