Question about pulling calipers for powder coating

Im thinking of pulling my calipers off to get PCed but dont want to lose all my brake fluid/bleed all the lines.
Any tips to keeping the fluid in the system while the calipers are off?
Do they make a plug I can slap on there temporarily?

You’re going to have to bleed them if you remove the calipers, no way around it.

yup.

just get some spoons :stuck_out_tongue:

find a mac truck and buy brake line pinch clamps. They are like $15, and you lose a minimal amount of fluid. Still have to bleed the brakes, but air will only be in the system after the clamp to the caliper, so it won’t take long.

^ Calipers are still going to be empty too.

Absolutely, still better than bleeding the entire system haha

Just flush the system anyway. You can clamp the hoses to keep from making a mess, but brake fluid absorbs water and should be changed every few years anyway.

Make sure the bleeder screws face up when you put em back on, ive seen people put calipers on the wrong sides. Alo get new crush washers from the parts store.

Good excuse to get SS lines…

you could make a block with the right fitting in it so you can screw the brake line into that will stop the brake fluid from leaking out. If you clamp the rubber lines it could cause it to crack internally and eventually form a bubble between the layers of the line and burst. I’ve never seen it happen but it’s a possibility.

Take a pair of Vise-Grips and grab the rubber line. This will help keep the entire system from draining.

Lots of good advice here.

Spend a few bucks and bleed the system anyway and put some good fluid in.

I’m sure there is better but I use this:

http://www.superbikesupply.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/12-ATE-SUPER-BLUE-TYPE-200-GOLD-BRAKE-FLUID.jpg

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&ie=UTF-8#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=4&gs_ri=psy-ab&gs_mss=super%20racing%20bl&tok=jK6gc__PuhbpqJhew8w7Pg&pq=super%20racing%20blue%20&cp=15&gs_id=1t&xhr=t&q=super+blue+racing+brake+fluid&es_nrs=true&pf=p&safe=off&sclient=psy-ab&oq=super+blue+raci&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.dmg&fp=bf95924853a44839&ion=1&biw=1280&bih=939

Do not use vise grips the sharp edges can rip the linining causing brake failures.

Innovative is a local seller for it. If they don’t have any in stock (I’m sure Mike does) I have an extra can I can sell you.

Dat’s what I use.

This. I have a rounded pair I use, but i also have exra rubber lines for my car…

That’s what I have

If you leave the lines uncapped with the calipers removed… Wouldn’t the front brake system gravity bleed itself empty anyways?

Not if u clamp off the lines

Right but I think he’s implying that at least half the bleeding could theoretically be done by just removing the calipers and not worrying about clamping and/or capping any lines.