Question: SR20 Cooling Setup

For those of you running SR20DETs; What’s your setup for rad/fans/etc? I’m planning a swap of my own and would like to know a good, cost effective cooling solution.

B-Wurm :smiley:

I’m planning on (for now) using the stock 240 rad with an electric fan I found while cleaning my garage. Basically just get 2 - 90 degree bends and a piece to connect them. I haven’t tried it yet but I don’t see why it wouldn’t work
http://www.members.shaw.ca/newdirection/srrad%20hose.jpg

You can do that or do like I did and find a rad hose that fits. I think it was mid 90s caprices or something. I posted it on NICO but cant find it now.

Thanks for the help guys. I think I’ll do that. Now, will it make a difference wether I use the stock SMIC or would an FMIC be more beneficial?

This stock smic sucks. Trust me. For the price I paid you could get a small front mount (SRT-4 IC’s are really cheap on ebay) then you would just need a bov and some piping.

electric 14" fan from mopac and koyo rad and temp relay. wont go over 180 degrees. Thats what I got and it works much better than the stock rad. You wont over heat with the stock rad but you can if you are driving hard. Theyre not consistant at all but the koyo is. The fan from mopac isnt over $100 and the relay was $20 and rad is cheap from Autodream or from PDM Racing in Vancouver. I got mine from Autodream cuz it was faster and was no shipping. Marvin even braught it to me in Lethbridge for free. What a good guy :smiley:

Cool, thanks. How much would it cost for a moderately sized IC and custom piping?

Intercooler’s are around $350.00 for an e-bay special and go to Mopac in Calgary for the bends and that will cost about $150.00 for all of them so like 6 bends and then you just cut and weld them yourself then paint them when your finished. Thats the cheapest way.

one other option, if you can’t weld or can’t find a good quality but cheap shop to do it, is you can buy all the bends in silicone couplers and then join them together with straight metal piping.

And sometimes you can find a good deal on a kit with all piping, fastners, intercooler, everything needed.

I just got a used greddy FMIC but after paying a good price for the core and piping, I needed all new fasteners, couplers and need to weld on a vacuum line bung and a pipe for my BOV to mount to. So now it’s not such a good deal anymore. So becareful of used kits is my advice to you!!

Come to Lethbridge and I will weld it for you and we can get drunk and pick up all the ladies!!!

BTW this is Allen^^^^ I am just signed on as Rob. God Damn

Man!!! You guys are all the same you lethbridge’inites, now aren’t ya?
All about drinking and the ladys with a little car on the side for dessert!

I wish it wasn’t such a long ways away, and I would take you up on that offer! I am hoping to get a local shop to tig that sucker up for me and I should have the last couplers I am waiting for within 2 weeks, so with alittle luck it will all be good to go and on the car (finnally) soon!!

Hahahaha

Okay but my offer is still on the table!

good luck with it and post some pictures later on.

Hahaha, I’m in!