Questions about ASE testing.

Well, I’m looking to take some of my ASE’s this spring, and I have a few questions.

Which tests should I take first? I’m looking to take the easiest ones first, so I can have more time to study up on the more difficult ones.

How many should I take at a time?

How do I get my money back once I pass them?

and not on the topic of ASE’s but on the topic of things like this, how do I go about getting my inspections liscense?

I have all the qualifications necessary to get all of this, and I have pretty good knowledge and schooling in the automotive field, I just need to take these to step up my game and prepare me for my future in the industry.

Take steering and suspension, brakes, and electrical first. Those are easiest and most useful to a n00b tech. As for getting your money back, that depends on where you work. To get your inspectors license you have to either have 1 year experience or proof of vocational school.

form for license…
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/forms/vs120.pdf

take your time
read tech A think about it. decide if tech A is right or wrong before you even read tech B
don’t get in to much of a hurry, but don’t jerk off the whole time either
i took 4 of the ASE tests and passed them all, i have certificates, I’m not sure if I should apply for the license or not
i would like to get my bike inspection license.

I havent taken any ASE tests but I do have my inspection license, possibly the easiest thing to obtain.

Thanks for the info guys, at boces they forced us to do tech A tech B format tests ALL the time, It really helps out I’ve been told.

I’ll apply for those tests first. I’d just like to get them done now so by the time I graduate from ecc I can almost be certified

Get them done while all the learning is still fresh, but be warned, the easy tests are not that easy.

x2
also, i would take the hardest first, note what you not sure about i think you get 2 takes before you need to pay or something.

I know I’ll pass brakes for sure, I’m not sure what else would be a good first test to take at the same time.

I appreciate the info, I’ll be signing up later this week for these. Do they send the books to study in the mail? or how do you go about getting those?

You have to buy the study guides, plenty online. But there are some free practice tests, here’s one…

warning boces does not qualify you for ase you need schooling or 2 years in the field

I think the time from boces only qualifies as a year in the field for the inspection license…

i was told same for ase

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the info!

i have a registration booklet layin around at my shop somewhere if i find it you can come pick it up if ya want, and for the inspection license, thats as easy as cake

I took 6 of them at once (4 one day, 2 the next) because thats all my shop would pay for and passed all of them. I saved the 2 engine ones for last because I had heard they were the toughest and I found them to be pretty easy. Then I heard Steering and Suspension was cake and I found it a little difficult. Just study. I have a bunch of practice tests in PDF Format if you want to PM me your email address I can send them to you.