Questions about ATT

Thinking about switching to them from verizon to save a few bucks. what’s the service like? any dropped calls or ghost calls?

quality of reception?

Was thinking of getting an iphone maybe.

Wait on the iPhone until the next gen comes out June’ish. Never experienced a dropped call and reception/3G is great.

It’s not as good as Verizon, but it’s good enough. My wife complains that she gets a dropped call once in a while, but she’s on her phone all goddamned day so :tif:

The only place it’s a problem for me is inside the building in a shop in East Syracuse (yeah, as in not in the boonies, as in a couple of miles from SU) I don’t get service. Otherwise it’s been fine. Including a drive from Kansas City to Buffalo and I never noticed not having service.

Around Buffalo I haven’t had a problem. Actually in classrooms at UB I didn’t get service with VZW but I do with AT&T. :shrug:

Here’s something to think about if you’re going to sign with AT&T and don’t really want an iphone: You can buy a 3GS subsidized from them for $200, call them and say you’re going overseas and have them unlock it for free, then sell it on ebay for $600 bucks. Then you can buy an unlocked Nokia or HTC/Google Nexus One and only pay $15/month for data instead of $30 and have a better phone to boot. I’m still kicking myself for not doing that originally.

i thought ATT would not unlock any iphone? and if they did u needed some proff of being over seas

the more rural you go (away from any city or highway) the worse AT&T will be vs. verizon

Really. Oh well, it’s not like you need to unlock it to sell it. Anyone in the US is going to be using it on AT&T anyway.

save a few bucks? unless you get some sort of discount from them you will probably be paying just about the same as verizon

i haven’t had much problems with AT&T UNLESS I’m in midtown manhattan… but that’s probably due to congestion (damn all you iphone users)

i get a dropped call once in a blue moon… ghost call once in a blue moon… nothing noticeable really

Dont buy ANY phone till June. ATT has a few Android phones coming out along with the new iPhone so its worth the wait to see which one you like. As for the service, its really good in buffalo. Fast downloads all over the city and good call reception. Some high congested areas I get dropped calls like in NYC and bigger cities but other than that, its solid and I was a Verizon guy for years but if you live in a remote area or a high congested area like NYC, you may be better off. Just got sick of their BS.

ive had at&t since my first cell phone and have not had any problem with dropped calls or reception EXCEPT for a few random buildings but thats all.
the only complaints is that most of their phones suck, but like boxxa said new android phones are coming out soon.

That is becoming less and less true. I have been to Rochester 4 times this month and never once lost 3G along the 90 so they are definitely expanding there coverage.

To be honest I never have had one issue nor has the wife. Although my new work (BCBS downtown) we have sketchy reception in certain spots.

I’ve had ATT for about 5 years now… Never had a single dropped call, ever, but I rarely ‘talk’ on my phone. Coverage is good, and getting better. Places where I normally go have 3G coverage that is faster and more ‘reliable’ than Verizon. This is confirmed in independent tests as well if you look around. They don’t bug me about my 10-20GB per month data use, when EVERY other ‘unlimited’ data plan is really limited to 5GB. I have noticed the network speed is improving, which is always good. And I often get one or two bars in areas where Verizon customers get none. Mainly basements, underground classrooms in UB, freezers, etc… Data speeds in Vegas are just fine, no MAJOR issues, I’ve made calls without problems. However, during CES in Vegas, its brutal. Data is slow and unreliable, but the page loads if you wait. I simply could not make a call during peak hours. But what do you expect for Vegas, during the largest consumer electronics show? NYC was fine for me, insanely fast speeds at LaGuardia, kinda slow speeds elsewhere.

I know a friend that switched from Verizon to ATT to get a iPhone, and the monthly bill for the same 5 phones (One a iPhone) was a few dollars LESS than the old Verizon bill after taxes. This was including the $30 charge for data on the iPhone.

Basically, if it costs less, go for it. ATT has a vastly superior 3G network where coverage does exist, which is most everywhere besides the middle of nowhere. If you want a iPhone, go ahead. You can always jailbreak it in 3 seconds and unlock it for another GSM network if you’d like. But wait until the 4th gen iPhone comes out.

any info on the phones att will be getting?