Quick question about removing HICAS

my car is HICAS but i don’t want to keep it. i am planning on swapping subframes for one that is 5 bolt with Z brakes later.

however, once i put the car on the road i’ll have to get an inspection done by my insurance company so i want to keep the car as stock as possible for the inspection, then swap the subframe later. i have ZERO desire to hook up all the hicas crap on my SR once i put it in.

so is there a quick way that doesn’t cost anything to lock the hicas so the car will pass a safety and be driveable until i swap the subframe? i’m not sure what will happen if i don’t hook up the HICAS lines… will the wheels be loose? maybe i don’t have to bother locking it?

thanks.

that big hunk of crap that would sit beneath tha alternator is 3 failsafe selenoids (IIRC) which lock hicas when the lines fail or low pressure etc…

ive heard of people looping the power steering back to it self before i goes to the HICAS section so u have no leaks in the front aswell… like u unscrew the line on the right and cut it off… move the line on the left side from being connected to the hicas to the right side…essentially closing the loop

Yea, When I did it, I just looped the send and return line with a thick fuel line type rubber. So that the pressure doesn’t stretch weak material, (which happened and popped this shyt plastic line I put on befor ) I then took off everything, the rack, the lines the lil pump thing and replaced the rack with those hicas lock out bars. It is much lighter and I have no suspicions of a wiggle in the rear, an alignment must be done though, and have no problems since.

I just looped it back on my old hatch…but relatively cheap way is the lock rods that we make (Intense Motorsports) call us up and ask about em…just to get an idea 1-705-431-6294 ask for Justin

im no expert but… i really doubt the insurance is going to be able to tell the differance between swapped or OEM subframes… i dont even think they would care! they just want to see what condition the vehicle is in general… and what sort of parts its got, for fraud prevention mostly… like if you get into an accident and claim you had full body kit, and rims… when you really didnt.

it’s moreso the fact that with the subframe comes my Z32 brakes, 5 lug and 18" wheels… i think they might notice that :stuck_out_tongue: