R/C Cars

So…my son loves radio controlled cars and has about 6 of them. He is two and is pretty good and controlling them. He doesn’t have any that are great…I play with with the other ones he has all the time, but they are boring…so, i decided to use that as an excuse to get one…lol. So I bought a Traxxas Jato 3.3. Does anyone know anything about them??? I ordered it, so it will be here on Wednesday, so I am trying to learn everything about it before I get it. Does anyone know how to tune one???

don’t run it in the house. trust me. lol

haha…id like to hear that story

Nice to hear you bought a traxxas, sorry to hear you bought a jato for your first nitro RC. Reason being they are very, did I say VERY, fast. As for the tuning, just watch the traxxas DVD, follow it to a T, and you should be able to get about two gallons of fuel through your motor without having any major problems. I would also recommend, whatever fuel you break the motor in on, continue to always run that fuel brand and percentage. SAy you start with traxxas 30%, always run traxxas 30%. If you decide to goto O’Donnell 20% complete redo the break process. And I would also recommend buying and using a Failsafe unit, before you ever start the engine. This will safe your car in the event that the receiver losses signal from the transmitter. And it does happen, more than you would ever think…

the jato isnt really a beginner car, but their fun cars. hell i been messin around the nitro for about 3 years and i still cant control the jato that well (jato 2.5R that is)
jato 3.3 is just wicked if this is your first nitro RC good luck and i hope you have enough to buy another one :rofl:
I probably would have bought a revo or Tmax first

Yeah…I hear that it is pretty fast…I am not a newbie to R/C Cars, I raced them at TC’s in Natrona Heights before it burned down. I was into them pretty heavy from age 9 till I was like 17. This is just my first Nitro Car. My Brother inlaw had a TMaxx when they first came out and I ran his every once in a while. But the Jato is 2wd, so i know its not going to handle like the TMaxx. He was a moron though and never broke the motor in, so it didn’t last too long, now it sits in his basement collecting dust. He has more money than he knows what to do with, so it was no big deal to him…thing is practically brand new. I am thinking about buying it off of him as well and replacing the motor so I have something to take offroad.

I am going to stick with 20% for now, i hear its the most common.

I also bought aluminum shock towers and top plate…I heard those were weak points…and I know i am going to wreck it more than once…lol

ya its a given…mine took some abuse too… been thinkin about buyin one again to play with.

my buddie jeff has one…u’ll go threw tires like crazy

33% fuel :slight_smile: go big or go home

my buddy’s jato doin about 60?mph :dunno: all i know is its fast as shit
http://www.vmix.com/myvideos.php?cmd=view&itemid=123676&pg=1&sortkey=date_created&sortdir=DESC&searchkey=all

Excellent advise. Use teh pinch test for tuning. Make life easy and get yourself a temp gun for $25, otherwise you will be guessing on your tune which sucks. Jato is a great car.

http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=1D47A4F4-C27B-4A8A-9E88-C52C834A9C82&p=1 :bowrofl: that was only when he had a few things done to it

HAHA…was that a 2.5 or a 3.3?

I heard this too. It comes with Anaconda tires, and apparently they dont last very long. I have read that I should convert to the 2.2 wheels, instead of the 2.8s that come on it because there are better tire choices.

stick with 20%. nitro cars don’t like when you switch blends on them. if you need any help setting it up, let me know. im a big r/c guy, and have 4 traxxas vehicles. with the 3.3, you have to remember that when your driving it, when it starts to get up to speed, have enough room to brake. the 3.3 powerband in the jato is sick, but the best part is how fast it goes from 50mph-65-mph. it really can get away from you. your best bet is to go to a very large parking lot, and be careful. also, dump the alkaline reciever batteries and switch to nimh rechargable. your truck will be lighter, and it will last longer. and your best bet is if your close to robinsoon, stop in to hoobytown usa, and get the r/c car action nitro engine tuners guide. it will have the answer to every question you need.

Hmm…i live 5 minutes from Hobbytown, I will have to go in there and pick one of those books up.

2.5R

i was big into rc car’s along with tom vito. i still have a t maxx with rev elimination and 1 speed and a stampede with an electric motor. what i know about the jato is they have alot of weak points (bulk heads and shock towers ect) but fast as hell. at one time i had 12 rc’s . e maxx /stampede/rustler elec/rustler nitro/t maxx/rc10lss/rc10t/associated on road car/mini t/clodbuster/ and a few others but i sold most of my stuff to fund my camaro . this summer i plan to buy a another onroad car with a brushless set up.

couldn’t agree more. Any motor over a.15 size needs 30% or more to keep cool. I know you will hear that 30% is more nitro so it will run hotter, but in reality the more nitro the cooler the burn.

If you goto 2.2’s dont forget to adjust the gearing…

brushless huh? that sounds like something I could be talked into…:rofl:

brushless huh? that sounds like something I could be talked into…:rofl:[/QUOTE]

brushless all wheel drive associated with the best battery they make.