R35 GT-R: VDC off + Launch Control = Warranty Void

Official letter from Nissan to a GTR owner about his warranty being voided. This letter is not a photochop… :rofl

http://img32.picoodle.com/img/img32/3/10/16/t_gtrletterm_208d6ea.jpg

:rofl

" except when rocking vehicle stuck in mud or snow"

so you can turn the VDC off to take the car mudding, or to do snow drifts?

I am late on this but you are retarded.

How can they prove the car broke when the vdc was off? What if it broke during normal driving? Sure the “blackbox” records when the VDC was turned off and how many times you jack off inside the car and all that fun stuff, but does it record the exact time and date when the tranny broke too? :rofl

Stupid fucking car.

Sophisticated datalogging. Shit, some of my software logs a TON of shit away from the user’s eye. Imagine what a billion++++ company can do.

I know that, but does it show when the tranny failed AND when the VDC was turned off?

Hypothetically, what if the guy was legitimately stuck in mud or snow, and he had to turn off the VDC to get the car out and the tranny died? :rofl

Too many variables come into play here. Chances are the guy was beating the piss out of it, but still…

You gotta pay to play these days.

Point being though, why market a car based on numbers and options such as launch control (which btw-numbers that are only achievable if vdc is off and launch engaged) and then tell you tough shit when it breaks? It’s a shitty deal all the way around.

Given the amount of stories I’ve heard, I’m sure either 1. a class action lawsuit is in the making or 2. recall

It’s just not right to be stuck with a 90,000 dollar car you can’t have fun with. Vettes are half that and can take a hell of a lot more beatings.

I am sure that button being turned on/off is logged.

They probably measure load in some way to determine if your in the mud.

What exactly are they going to sue about or recall? The manual says in clear print that turning off your traction control nulls your warranty while it is off and any abuse incurred while having it off will not be covered while it is off. If you read into that thread posted in the first page people come out of the woodwork calling this guy out on how he has bragged about his launches and how he has used launch control like 20+ times in the few months he has had the car.

And to the snow comment, its rather easy to see the difference between giving the car 2% throttle at 2MPH and 100% at a standstill.

Nissan has those GT-R owners by the balls. It sucks for them… but there’s nothing they can do about it. It’s all there in the fine print.

I could understand after maybe 40 or 50+ launches, but there are others out there who have this happen after 10.

They said clear as day in their letter that turning the VDC off does not void the warranty itself, but if it breaks when off then you’re screwed.

As another poster in that forum stated-they can turn their VDC off in an Infiniti and not have any issues.

I’m not buying it. Only reason Nissan covered their ass in the manuals is because they knew it was weak.

Their advertising brochures and commercials are enough for owners to slam them with false advertising.

You know if you tell someone to not touch the red button, well curiousity gets to them eventually. Same deal here. People bought this car because of the bells and whistles that Nissan bragged about in their marketing, then they tell them nope sorry you can’t push it or do that? Why have a “track mode” if you can’t use it?

Sorry I wasn’t clear in my first statement, they say if anything breaks due to abuse while VDC is off, not just if it happens while its off. So basically they have written them selves a blank check that they get to cash when you roll up with something broke. And they will find evidence of you abusing the car when they hook into the little black box.

Its called genius marketing. :crackup

Use it all day long, no one said you can’t. But they did say when you abuse it and it breaks you get to pay for it. NO car manufacturer in the world covers abuse, Nissan just has the ability to find it much easier than anyone else.

And is it really ANY suprise that the GT-R has a weakness? The car starts at under 80K and holds the record on the ring for the fastest production street car. How do you think they managed both of those things in one package? I can tell you its not by using cheap leather on the seats…

lmfao at the comments in this post. :crackup

I entirely understand. But, what constitutes abuse? That was definitely never outlined in any literature that is given. I have a brochure for the GT-R somewhere in my house and it clearly states “how the launch control feature will change your definition of fun”. Other statements are almost encouraging people to doooooooo it. It still leaves room for a good lawyer to pick at the loopholes, fine print or not.

This is apples to oranges buuuut, I autocrossed and rally’d my 2G. Chrysler still replaced my ball joints :-D.

Warranty issue nonewithstanding, only issue I have with this guy is that if you can afford to buy a 90k car, you should be able to afford fixing it.

Nissan=Fail

No, making this so called supercar a piece of shit FTL
Nissan making up times for nurinburg ring FTL
R32-R34 all day > R35

I didn’t know Nissan was prosecuting the Nazi’s…

And you call yourself a car guy.

:nono

“Launch Control” is now replaced with the word “PR MODE”.

I think you answered your own question. It is marketing and a very sad trend. Here is how the Nissan Marketing machine works, IMO.

1. Build car with PR mode.
  2. Build car to activate PR mode by turning VCD off.
  3. Don’t market the car with PR mode “internally”.
  4. Tell media to test car with PR to achieve good numbers.
  5. People see good numbers.
  6. Add disclaimer that turning VDC off might void warranty.
  7. Make people sign disclaimer.
  8. People attempt PR mode to achieve good numbers.
  9. ???
  10. Profit!

:ponder