Raffi Torres hit on Marian Hossa

^ I’d agree with what Walter said if I had any respect for the NHL and it’s enforcement. I mean it makes perfect sense and it’s how it should be handled. Unfortunately it’s the NHL and I think they won’t send a strong enough message (just like they didn’t send a strong message at the start of the playoffs when Shea Weber slammed a guy’s head into the glass). They’ll send the same message they’ve been sending for years… that it’s a good strategic move to use one of your shit players to take out an opposing team’s star.

Good point. I don’t follow it close enough these days. Given the three game suspension for the “hit” on the goalie, I can’t imagine it’d be less than 5. But like you said, stupider things have happened.

Anyone know what happens if they suspend them for 5 games, but only play 2 more this season? Does it carry over to next year? If it doesn’t by default, I could conceivably see them doing something weird.

This is the only time of the year a lot of the country actually pays attention to hockey don’t want to scare away investors/advertisers lol

Its still pretty sad how pathetic the viewing numbers are, with reports that they are trending up as there is more news about some of these games being so brutal, you’d argue that the NHL is going to try and hold on to the brutality.

Yep, advertisers can’t complain one bit when more and more viewers are watching playoff hockey to see teams bash each others brains in.

Again it’s going to come down to consistency of the suspensions. Carl Hagelin got 3 games for his elbow to Alfredsson. Was it warranted? I think it’s debatable. Alfredsson has had some problems concussion problems in the past so the amount of time he misses would not be the same if it were any other healthy player. In the end, it probably was the right amount of time for him to serve. On the other hand, Shaw gets 3 games for hitting Mike Smith which was ridiculous. Smith definitely added some theatrics there, otherwise he wouldn’t have finished the game or played in the following game. I thought Shaw made an aggressive play but he did have a legitimate chance to steal the puck. How do you suspend a guy 3 games for a hit like that, and not give anything to Lucic for his hit on Miller which caused Miller to lose considerable game time?

I’ll agree with what you mentioned above with the exception of one thing: the suspensions should be the same no matter what type of player is hurt. I think the star status of some of these guys getting injured or run over has influenced the time served by the player being penalized. It shouldn’t be that way. The purpose is to protect the player, regardless of whether they are a complete goon or a superstar. Again, I think it seems the better the player is that gets hurt, the heavier of a suspension is dealt.

I can’t back this up but I believe it will carry over to next season.

Yeah that Shaw hit was BS. It looked like he tried to avoid him, he BRUSHED up against his helmet and Mike Smith acted like he’d been hit by a car. Shaw had no prior suspensions and he gets 3 games? So after Miller gets run over…NOW the league decides goalies need protecting. Shanahan is a joke.

I agree 100%, if it came across otherwise I was only noting that teams can stack “expendable” players to remove stars, not to indicate that the same kind of actions should be different for starts vs against ANY player.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:21 PM ----------

Agreed - what a joke of a call. It would have been one thing if he had even left the ice but he continued to play, why? because it was nothing. three games for making a play on the puck and coming in contact with a goalie (at least looking like he was) leaning in to you outside of his crease? seirously?

Gotcha, and yeah I’m still in disbelief over the Shaw suspension. I played goalie my entire life and there’s no way I’m defending Smith for that one. Should get an Oscar nomination for that fall he took.

i totally agree. Players are trying to draw penalties like crazy which is understandable to some point but some plays are just obvious and lame as hell. Shannahan is fuckin idiot giving shaw 3 games for a clip in a dangerous area behind the net when he has no history and when miller comes out on open ice with plenty of time and space and gets run over by a league scumbag with a history and he gets nothing.

Ahh the inconsistency is stacking up. Shanny has his head way up his ass. It would seem it’s going to take a serious injury for this to get straightened out and that is the sad part. I am in no way a hawks fan but I was livid with that Torres hit. He does it every year. Give him the Bertuzzi treatment.

That hit was super late, the dude was in the middle of his second stride after losing possession. As a former hockey player, I can tell you without a doubt that Torres had every bit of ability to back off. Then he leaves his feet and demolishes him. It’s just not right.

I know that hockey has a reputation, and in most cases, it’s acceptable to be a bit over-aggressive. It’s part of the culture of the game, but the league needs to draw the line somewhere.

Bump…Raffi Torres suspended 25 fucking games…holy shit!

sends the right message, but i bet the rest of the playoffs are tame now compared to the first few games.

That hit will cost him over $500K :eek:

Good stuff.

IMO it with as many times as he has done this the suspension should be longer

The only message it sends is that if you’re not a star (Keith/Weber) you’re going to get raped by Shanny. Seriously Cambell was bad but Shanny has been so fucking awful all year it’s pathetic.

Let me restate: Torres for Hossa, they will take that trade anyday. He may miss out on game checks but im sure his team will take care of him, hes not gonna be broke anytime soon im sure.

Well I didn’t expect this but I think it’s a step in the right direction. As I’ve mentioned before, the key is to be consistent now so hopefully they are. I think the message has been appropriately sent. Does that mean the rest of the playoffs will be tame? I don’t think so. I’m sure tempers will still flare and there will still be some cheap shots here and there. But I don’t think anyone is going to go to an extent where they could seriously injure someone. Doesn’t mean you still can’t drop the gloves now and then.