only a 9 game suspension for a sucker punch, wtf...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news?slug=ap-predators-nicholsuspended&prov=ap&type=lgns

fucking bullshit on behalf of the NHL

for those who saw it, watch it again and get angrier

its not spaceks fault that scott nichol (who was cut by the sabres way back when btw) went into the post

but the point when nichol gets up, the glove is on his hand, and he throws it off and then goes to punch spacek

premeditated, uncalled for, and completely unprofessional…IMHO he should have got WAY more than 9 games…pathetic attempt at discipline…

video?

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=285823

Quoted:
Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement, and based on his average annual salary, Nichol forfeits $25,267.41. The money goes to the Players’ Emergency Assistance Fund.

Damn… He gets paid over $2800 a game.

But he should get more games than 9. BS

Vid and story here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2706554

While I disagree with it, NHL suspensions are based on the injury. Had Spacek been seriously injured it would have been a much longer suspension. They admit as much when the NHL guy said, “While Mr. Spacek was injured and left the ice, it is expected he will be available to play in Buffalo’s next game.”

So because Spacek has a big sturdy jaw that didn’t break, Nichols gets less of a suspension. Lame.

But, at least 9 games is more than a slap on the wrist.

i agree atleast it was 9 games and not something stupid like just being fined… I give Biron credit for jumping straight in there, even thought i still wish miller was in net, but biron did alright for hardly getting any play time

that was fucking awesome when biron jumped in

Holy shit, that was ruthless. Spacek and him got tangled up on the coverage, he went down into the net. Got up perfectly fine, and just intentionally tried to seriously injure Spacek.

Carmello Anthony got worse in the NBA for a much weaker punch. He got 15 games and a half million dollar fine.

Yeah thats bullshit he only got 9 games , thats nothing.It was pretty much just as big of a deal as the ovechkin shit. Nichol clocked him square in the jaw, u could just see spacek’s jaw slide, then nichol gabbed him by the collar and slammed him down on his back ,I loved when biron went in there grabbed nichol and started clubbing and paetsh was right there too

you do realize that there is NO fighting allowed in the NBA, hence the much stiffer penalty… Mello also makes WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYY more money, and the NBA wants this kind of thing to stop…

Spacek, who will play the next game, I think 9 games is over board… When you allow fighting, “Good luck man”, everyone remember laraque? Maybe if Spacek’s jaw was broken, or broke his nose then yea… make it more stiff. But he will play next game… he is just gonna be bruised. Heaven forbid.

yeah that was definately a weak punishment.

it was just as bad as the todd bertuzi incident. Just because spacek’s face wasn’t a bloody mess doesn’t mean it wasn’t as bad. Bertuzzi ended up missing like 20 something games for the same type of cheap shot.

its one thing when you fight the guy 1 on 1. But punching him in the side of the head is not fighting. he was defensless.

And it should not matter if he broke his jaw or if he got up and skated away. The guy intentionally tried to seriously hurt him.

9 games is not enough

The next time anyone touches my boy spacek…heads will get flown!

Spacek for President!

That play was completely uncalled for. Yea, be pissed that you got dumped into the post. If nichols wanted to get back at spacek, so be it. Turn him around and face him like a man. It was a cowardly classless act and this shit needs to be ridden from the NHL.

As far as the suspension goes, I was pretty annoyed that he only recieved 9 games. Around 7 om today, schoop and the bulldog had larry quinn on and they were talking about the whole process of the hearing and the different parties involved. After listening to quinn’s description of the hearing process, 9 games is amazing. Pretty much what I got from it was that Colin Campbell pretty much went beyond where the system would catergorized this situation, and that he may have taken heat for it.

I think the league needs to figure out a solid way to punish these players. Theres no way that these types of actions are going to stop if the way that they access the situation has affects from the condition of the victim player and the level of the player commiting the infraction.

Nichol should have gotten at least 20 imo.

fucking BS!

What the fuck is wrong with you? This wasn’t a fight. It was a bullshit cheap shot from behind.

And basing the penaly from the result is backward anyway. The intent should be the basis, and in this case, the intent was UGLY.

Uhm, sucker punching someone upside the side of their face from behind with intent to cause injury is a hell of a lot different than a mutually agreed upon fight…

There is no place in the NHL for shit like that. Face to Face Fighting? yes. Bashing somebodys face in from behind? No.

And by your logic, you don’t punish for intent? What kind of message does that send? As long as you don’t critically injure the guy, it is fine that you sucker punch them?

He got up, dropped his glove and one punched him out cold from behind. There is NO PLACE for actions like that in ANY sport, and messages should be sent before someone ends up seriously injured over some dudes temper and dirty work.

as was said already, its because spacek is going to be playing next game, if the injury was more serious, the suspension woulda been more serious

so in a sport where you can check… you don’t want sucker punches… briere sucker punched the one guy… was that ok… he got the 2 min penalty for it… peterrs is a dick all the time…

Yes its fucked up that he punched him, jsut think of the sport… losing and frustration it happens… its not like he was taking his skate off trying to kill spacek… he was just pissed and letting him know “fuck you man” spacek did very little wrong… the guy saw it a different way … its a heat of the moment thing

Meh, when I see you out sometime I’ll come up from behind and pop ya right upside the head and knock you out cold, because of frustration.

Drilling someone as hard as possible to the side of the face/head when they aren’t looking is beyond frustration though. It’s malicious.