RB25DET 240sx Swap

hi there i have done the rb26 swap in my 240sx
if you were at importfest you would have seen my car in the jrp booth

if you dont have a good junk of coin to do it dont do it
there are alot of smalll things i would change on the motor before doing the install and then you will need

the mount kit
a drive shaft
and the wiring harness redone
and new fans
plus other small stuff
and the install is not that easy for one and to do anywork on the car after gets really hard if you have questrions let me know

^^didnt you have the front timing belt cover of an rb26 on your “debadged” rb20?

So ur buddy has an SR & has the aftermarket exhaust manifold & 3" Megan exhaust done to it and thats it? how fast is his car?

It’s quite fast, fast enough for me. One of the faster cars i’ve been in.

thats why i want to sell my sr haha -

word of advice to anyone looking to swap a motor, HAVE A PURPOSE, A USE, AND A GOAL, becuase doing an rb swap to drift isnt practical, doing an rb swap to be different definately isnt practical, and doing an rb swap because you think its faster than any sr style swap, isnt always true, im running basically stock sr and it pulls harder than most rb25 s14 / s13’s

Actually from what I’ve heard and seen, the main reason why people wanna go with an RB series engine is:

1. To say or tell people that they have a “Skyline” engine in their car

2. They want to be ‘Different’ because ‘everyone’ has an SR.

And I can tell you that it is definitely NOT for reliability issues. That’s just pure bullshit. If you spend $8000 on an RB swap, you can have a very reliable KA-T or SR.

no sorry man your completely misplacing my ride with another car

sorry to tell you guys on my rb26 swap and what i done to the motor im making 550 whp and 15 psi and at 30 psi we hit 821 if you say my car at importfest and saw the dyno sheet to prove it

How much did that cost you?

Yeah…that pretty much is how it is.

Hopefully this provides some help unless ur dead set on an RB

I’m not sure if u have priced up an SR build but if u shop around and wait for deals u can build it right. New or used parts.

Here is an SR build that i priced out… now just compare it to a RB build and then decide. I don’t know the details of an RB so maybe someone can price up a build to compare.

Lets say for 5g’s gets u an SR in ur car, full turbo back exhaust, walbro, 180sx brakes and possibly more if u get lucky on a clip.
Now lets get some power for this thing.
Boost controller 350
BOV 150
FMIC 550
PFC 1000
GT28… 1100-1500
Injectors 740cc 500
Turbo lines 210
Z32 MAF 200
Clutch 500
Tune 700
Coilovers 1150
Wheels/tires 800

Total: 12,000 and u get hopefully 350whp on an all around fair handling car with fair reliability
(Note: Most of these prices can be found 24/7 from members of Son)

But yeah if u really want an RB, go talk to a shop that could probably do it and they will probably slap a price in front of you for a complete drive in drive out install and whats included. So hopefully someone can list shops for that or maybe they have already pm’d you telling you to give them a call.

You know what from what ive seen on this thread from other users, id preferably get an SR now than an RB, just for the sake of spending less money (cuz obviously u need a good amount of coin to do an RB swap properly & good) … You always gotta think in the long run or what the end result is … Sure with an RB, ull have more torque n more horsepower since its an I6, but for reliability & access to parts, its a bit harder & more expensive to come buy than an SR … If u got the money, go ahead with the RB swap … But if ur playin it safe & want to do an SR, do it … Jus do a “beginner” swap (if there is such a thing lol, correct me please) …

Is there a beginner swap for a SR20?

Obviously the engine, either red or black top ($1800-$2000)
The swap (installation) is what $1000 ?
Full turbo back exhaust (thats the exhaust manifold, downpipe & exhaust = $1300 ?)
Does installing a new intercooler kit, along with a new air filter for the turbo & new intake manifold plenum part of a beginner swap for an SR20?

Can some1 show me what would be a beginner, intermediate & pro swap for an SR20 along with the parts associated & cost for each?

rb’s are shit

chad what s14 rbs ahve you raced? can u bakc this up?
race me at track u pansy

/////\

yeah a stock SR is not fast. RB25 with the same mods as a sr will destroy it so hard. as well as some ka-t’s
I do not see how people are saying yes build an sr20 right and you will get 300hp reliably. please tell how this is more reliable then a RB25 with just bolt ons i would really like to know

PS Fobwall you are just a fagot. Sr’s are not the best engine in the world you fanboy. Some people like engines with nice torque and not because they are rice and want to say they have a skyline engine. Grow the fuck up nothing you post on this forum is of any value.

yeah you can have a a 4 banger two litre engine with 350hp but what rpms do you even get full power.

I think what people dont realise is that a 350whp s13 or s14 is more fun to own and drive then a 600whp s13 or s14.
Since 350whp is so easy, cheap, and reliable with an sr20, then why spend the extra cash, add the extra weight, and deal with the unforseen circumstances of having an rb motor that can cost a lot of downtime when things need replacement.

Its easier to get any replacement part for an sr then it is for any other engine, not to mention usually its in stock somewhere locally so u dont have to store the car for a few days or weeks till u get the part…

Im merely stating what i have seen during my past 5-6 years of doing this, most guys who go sr20, are totally happy with their choice and even if they could afford it, they usually realise there is no point to go to an inline 6 in an S chassis…by the time u dump over 20k into the project, you may aswell just buy a 350z or something like that and mod from there…

my 2 cents…

Do you actually have an RB25 in your S-chassis or are you just a fucking fanboy yourself? And thanks Captain Obvious for letting everyone else know that the SR isn’t the best engine in the world.

Man, you really should get a promotion for stating that.

Its probably not just as reliable, but it is cheaper to fix by far. There are far more people with SRs as compared to RBs, so parts are easier to find. Initial cost will also allow you to sink more money into building an SR that would hold more power. I’d say an SR you threw some money at would be more reliable than a possible beaten on RB from across the pond.

PS Fobwall you are just a fagot. Sr’s are not the best engine in the world you fanboy. Some people like engines with nice torque and not because they are rice and want to say they have a skyline engine. Grow the fuck up nothing you post on this forum is of any value.

RBs (especially a 25) aren’t the best engine in the world either. If you want torque, get a V8, unless you yourself are a fanboy and think that a V8 is somehow inferior to some JDM tyte engine.

yeah you can have a a 4 banger two litre engine with 350hp but what rpms do you even get full power.

Welcome to the world of boost. If you want power low on the curve, get a N/A engine.

I thought I’d add to the high HP comment…the car at any higher than 350hp is probably going to have traction issues. On a track car thats not a problem (or its less obvious) but given the fact that most guys on here are driving cars that are worth <$10,000 , they’re daily drivers. Putting weight in the front of the car is only going to make the traction issue even worse since you’re taking the weight off the back wheels and putting it on the front (think see-saw effect).

Edit: If something in this post makes no sense, I’m tired, so its not your lack of reading skills @_@

Thank you Mr. K. Well written.

you could put a ls1 in for the same amount of $$ as a RB, and have less weight than a sr, more reliability than both a sr or a rb and you could get the parts around town. Plus the coolness of opening your hood and showing off that motor

Nope but I drive one in a s14 everyday as one of my close friends have one. Have you ever driven one? I notice everytime someone is asking questions about doing a swap other then sr20 you go ape shit and start flaming and shit about how people only want to do it to be different which is completely wrong.

Varun I do not see how you fathom it costing 20gs to put a rb25 into a car.
You can get a complete motor set for around $3000
Motor mounts are $500
Get you driveshaft lengthened $200
front mount $500
Rad $500
wiring free theres so many sites that show you how to completely wire it into a s13 as well as a s14.
fluids $200
Pusher fans two 10" will do or to be safe two 12" $300
So if you do all the work your self i can see it costing around

Accoring to my costs it will cost $5300 if you do all the work your self. I myself would give another $1000 for just in case things so for about $6300 you can have a rb in to a 240sx

Also yes i would much rather a ls1 in a 240 then a rb25 but getting everything you need for the swap proves much harder and for myself there isnt enough info on this swap for myself to attempt it but I agree for torque a v8 would be the best option, but because there isnt alot of info on it the rb25 seems like the logical choice if you want torque with reliability.

thirdly a high powered SR will get full boost at a much higher rpm then a inline 6. that is why i am saying that for daily driving as well as anything else for me and im sure most other people would not like to have to rev past 4500 to get full boost.

maybe this will help you a little http://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=647338&highlight=mmdb