rb26dett or sr20det (ver)

Intro: I’m starting to plan for a base project car and will be p/u the 240sx s14 next month. For the drivetrain, I’m planning on implementing a sr20det swap w/ intake, dp, cat, exhaust, h-lsd and elec boost controller. I’m ideally trying to source a clean s15 w/ 6sp tranny - second choice would be a s14 w/ 5sp tranny.

Function: Will be used as a summer vehicle and part time track car.

Target Pwr: 290 hp @ wheels

Q: A friend of my asked me to consider the rb26dett swap with the RB25 AND RB26motor adapter kit from McKinney Motorsports. This sounded interesting, my intial concerns were…Will there be traction problems due to the high amt of power and torque? Will the handling characteristic of the car be undesirable for daliy / track use (i’m not dragging)? Has anyone in Ontario done this hybrid swap?

I’m biased for the sr20det s15/6spd/h-lsd, but just wanted to get some of different perspectives from forum members :wink:

Thank you in advance for all replies.
Bri :smiley:

rb26dett, waist of money if you want a track car its going to ruin your weight balance, and you want 290 hp? theres no point of spending 10K installing a rb26dett.

s15 sr?
no point at all, your spending an extra 3 grand to get an extra 45 hp stock, and a weaker 6 speed tranny and alot more work.

s13 sr
s15 turbo and 555 injectors and a safc-2 and your there easy with i/e.
much less money and an easier swap and proper weight dist

you want a hetical lsd, dont waist your money on the s15 one get a kaaz 1.5 way

from your options, money sounds like no object

if it somewhat is, you can also swap in the RB25DET. peeps reported the weight difference from stock is roughly 100-140lbs when compared to KA. you can make up some of that difference with cf hood/ fenders, bigger diff, ect, but the wieght will most likely be off when compared to stock. the 240sx is well balanced to to begin with, and the car can be dialed in with a proper suspension setup for traction. BUT the fact still remains the car is better balanced with a SR swap.

no one that i know of has swapped in a rb locally. there are quite a few members on NICO that have though. the RB block is reported to handle 500HP+++ stock, which is over your goals, but you may change your mind once u reack your goals. The SR is roughly 350-400HP stock block, which is still plenty for any street driven car.

most track oriented s15 owners swap in a silvia 5 speed, a 6 speed would really be for bragging rights and maybe fuel economy? the s15 motor is newer, so should be in better condition than any other SR, but the cost to power difference doesn’t really make sense since the power can be achieved easily in an older SR.

your ride should be prepped properly before dropping this kinda power into a 240, full suspension, brakes, sticky tires, the list goes on. i’d swap in a RB26 in a heartbeat, if i had the coin, but realistically, would like to drop a RB25. i love nissans V6’s, i doubt the inlines would disappoint. but the SR is a very capable motor, and would have no beefs about swapping one of those

good luck with your swap, and what is your budget? members may be able to help you to achieve your goals if u let us know what u got to work with? the items u mentioned would run the average joe ALOT of coin.

talk about long writeups for such an easy answer!!
SR SR SR SR SR SR SR SR

dont get into that RB hype for 300hp haha SR will do its very easily for much much cheaper!!

b16 yo.

its the only way to go.

in all honesty id go with the sr as wel/… itll net you 300 whp with not a TON of money spent.

mainly see my car for proof.

GT

there are quiet a few local RB20s and RB25’s atleast 4-6.

theres a s14 with a 500 hp rb25det who was toying around with me on hurontario, absulutly amazing car.

sorry, i know of RB20’s, but not 25’s and up.

i assume they aren’t members on this board, are they? i’d love to see that rb25 s14 that u are speaking of.

I say go with the S15 SR. Nobody has it, and the 6spd is wicked. You are not pushing 800000043024234234.5whp so no need to worry about the ‘weaker’ gears.

Scott shut up,

The weight change is irrelevant because the all the weight is in the tranny, which is located centrally and a little further back…

Weight distribution isn’t an issue… A guy cornerweighted his car after his RB25 install and came our 51/49…

The RB26 isn’t useless at all, it’s a better starting point for high horsepower applications and it has a nicer torque curve…

With that being said, for 290, you need to get an SR…

Cheap, easy, and bolt ons are available…

Leave the RB to people who can stomach the job, and who have done the research…

Because clearly you have not…

It’s not worth the money, time or effort you would spend to do it… I know someone who did it and he regrets it…

I’m sorry guys but that… was a great post. Delt with the issue at hand while making scott feel stupid. Nice.

Grocery gino.

Last season I had the misfortune to be in, not one, but two SR’ed S13’s when they blew out gears. V popped 3rd and 4th with me in the car and the Hamster blew 5th on the hwy and then lost reverse too. Both trannies were the 5 spd so I would say if the 6 spd. is weaker I would avoid it.

I’m sorry guys but that… was a great post. Delt with the issue at hand while making scott feel stupid. Nice.

Grocery gino.[/quote]

iono about that,

education is great, insulting ( scott shut up / clearly you have not) is always counter productive.

perhaps this is his research?

Grocery gino.[/quote]

iono about that,

education is great, insulting ( scott shut up / clearly you have not) is always counter productive.

perhaps this is his research?[/quote]

Scott knows I’m joking…

However, making a thread, asking people to spend their time to fomulate a grammatically and informative post, when all they need to do is search a few, forums that have been listed countless times, arrange them in 2 coloums of Pro’s and Con’s and learn for himself… because honestly…

Everyone on here has got an opinion, and it could be based on pure garbage (most of the time it is)… If he does the research himself, taking from actual experienced builders and seeing all the data (data doesn’t lie) then he can make his own desicision, without worrying about some guy with a hard-on for one motor or another giving him a biased opinion…

Do you’re own research, because it’s out there, they just need to take the time to LOOK FOR IT…

So the 2.5L 6 cylinder RB is heavier than a 2L 4 cylinder SR because of the transmission?? wow, that’s funny, please, explain to me what the difference is between the transmissons? because you do know they’re both 5 speed, RB fits on a SR, and they look almost identical?

If you want to make about 225 to 275 whp I’d go SR, easier to do progresivly, less worries about fuel managment, after 300 whp turbo KA is your best bet.

Heard of lots of crappy reviews of Mckinney mounts.

bob thats it. i challange you to a togue down forks of the credits 12 pm tomorrow night. mooses are not allowed.

So the 2.5L 6 cylinder RB is heavier than a 2L 4 cylinder SR because of the transmission?? wow, that’s funny, please, explain to me what the difference is between the transmissons? because you do know they’re both 5 speed, RB fits on a SR, and they look almost identical?

If you want to make about 225 to 275 whp I’d go SR, easier to do progresivly, less worries about fuel managment, after 300 whp turbo KA is your best bet.

Heard of lots of crappy reviews of Mckinney mounts.[/quote]

The gross difference in the weight of the 2 come from the tranny, and if you’re so inclined the cross member…

Yeah they are both 5 speeds, they make look similar but their dimensions are different… the gears are beefier and bigger all around, as it is built to accept the horsepower applied to it by a more powerful engine…

Where the hell did you get the RB fits on the SR tranny? Because as far as I know you’re wrong…

The RB series motors fit the RB20, and RB25, motors… If what you’re saying is true at all then the RB guys wouldn’t think twice about getting an SR tranny to bolt up, but they never do? Prove it and I’ll stand corrected…

The weights of a KA (which has the same tranny as an SR give or take) is around 540lbs, the Rb with tranny is 710lbs, more then half the extra weight is in the tranny so another 100-120 pound are in the tranny, and 50-70 are in the motor… With that being said, you can easily offset this by relocating the battery and adding gas to your tank…

Do you always assume trannies are the same inside because they look the same from the outside?

Any other questions?

I’ll even give you a head start…

I’ll even give you a head start…[/quote]

alright ill bring the jet car

Heard of lots of crappy reviews of Mckinney mounts.[/quote]

The gross difference in the weight of the 2 come from the tranny, and if you’re so inclined the cross member…

Yeah they are both 5 speeds, they make look similar but their dimensions are different… the gears are beefier and bigger all around, as it is built to accept the horsepower applied to it by a more powerful engine…

Where the hell did you get the RB fits on the SR tranny? Because as far as I know you’re wrong…

The RB series motors fit the RB20, and RB25, motors… If what you’re saying is true at all then the RB guys wouldn’t think twice about getting an SR tranny to bolt up, but they never do? Prove it and I’ll stand corrected…

The weights of a KA (which has the same tranny as an SR give or take) is around 540lbs, the Rb with tranny is 710lbs, more then half the extra weight is in the tranny so another 100-120 pound are in the tranny, and 50-70 are in the motor… With that being said, you can easily offset this by relocating the battery and adding gas to your tank…

Do you always assume trannies are the same inside because they look the same from the outside?

Any other questions?[/quote]

So there’s almost a 200 pound difference between the RB and SR? If you’ve ever tried to change the heater core lines on an SR you’ll know the engine sits as far back as it can. And the RB is basically an SR and a half, and where do they put the extra 2 cylinders? At the very front of the car, an extra half a motor, plus manifold right at the front of the car, but all the weight is in the middle?

I’m too tired to look up info on swapping bellhousing for someone else, but if you search around it’s easy to find.

TM have you ever seen an RB tranny? even a picture of one?