rb26dett or sr20det (ver)

There is around a 170 pound difference between the (Edit) RB25 and the (Edit) KA. I’m fully aware of the where the SR sits in relation to the enginebay, I’m also aware of where the RB sits with McKinney mounts (lower and further back) and if you’re using the stock crossmember you need to hammer the tranny tunnel upwards to get it to slide back further until its practically flush.

Believe it or not the extra 2 cylinders dont weigh nearly as much as you think they do, the motor itself is quite light, and yes most of the weight is in the tranny. Contact Meggala (www.meggala.com) or Night7Racing for clarification.

I have seen, pulled, worked on, an RB25DET in my garage for 4 months. I also happened to write this:

http://forums.neo240sx.ca/viewtopic.php?t=3259

Those are my RB credentials, I’m not just making it up.

I searched for info on mating a SR with an RB and came up empty, you’ll have to find it beacause I could not. And even if the bellhousing does fit, the weight of a tranny is not in the bellhousing my friend. It’s with those wonderful gears.

So essentially, it makes sense. A little more weight up front, which can be countered with just a relocated battery, while a larger percentage of weight is in the middle of the car because of the beefy internals of the RB25 tranny. The tranny itself has been deemed bulletproof by many and is capable of running 600-800 hp without modification. I haven’t seen this myself, except for some video clips of some GST-S’s being drage raced with about 650hp on a stock tranny. With that being said, I havent heard of it being disputed.

Anything else?

I guess i just don’t know my own strength, I couldn’t tell that the RB tranny weighed 100 pounds more than an SR one when I carried it across a shop.

The link to neo, you wrote that? or copy and pasted it?

I guess i just don’t know my own strength, I couldn’t tell that the RB tranny weighed 100 pounds more than an SR one when I carried it across a shop.

The link to neo, you wrote that? or copy and pasted it?[/quote]

The images of the different skylines and their respective motors I got from Meggala with his permission. The rest is information I compiled, or I wrote. With that being said most of it is written. Any if I copied directly should have been cited. I guess you don’t know your own strength. I’ve carried a Corvette and a 400 hydro tranny too. What’s your point?

Maybe next time you should weigh it? Then you could prove me wrong.

Now were you carrying a RB20 or RB25 transmission? Because there is a large difference between those 2. In fact the RB20 is very similar to the SR tranny. However The RB25DET is not… but we weren’t really talking about the RB20…

Is that everything for today?

Okay I’m going to say the RB25 was the most ass heavy engine I’ve ever delt with. I assisted TM in pulling the RB out of the clip it was shipped in and not only is the tranny freakin huge compared to the SR it is also a whole lot heavier. Happe you are a silly gino :lol:

290 ? ytf do u need an RB for that ? SR man, otherwise KA-t

Hi, you guys seem to know your “S” on this subject, so here’s a question:
I have an FJ20 engine I am building up for my Datsun 510, I want to put something other than an L series 5 spd on it and was thinking about an RB.
I was told the RB20DET will bolt up with a little doweling mod, are there differences between the non turbo DE and turbo gear boxes? And here in the U.S., what model/year RWD Nissans should I be going for?
thanks…

the rb 26dett was put in an s14 in the states, and the guy did nothing to the setup and the car put down 337rwhp on stock boost, its in the nico furon somewhere, the actual weight difference is about 200lbs over a complete ka, with air, i speak form experience as i have done the rb26 swap in my s13 and i have the car running in my shop as we speak, i will be dyno-ing it this month as well as doin a corner weighing to se exactly how the weight is distributed.

ill keep you posted

pics of the motor and stuff^^^^^^^^^^^

farmer

way to bring back a post thats 2 years old

back then the ka-t was not used by hardly anyone or rarly considerd as an option.

dam it farmer u beat me to it. it was my goal to be the frist one in toronto to put a rb26 in a 240sx.

sorry dude my motor is in and running , i get my driveshaft today and ill be driving it tonite, ill be posting up some pics of the car when its done

farmer

This is an old thread…

Kudos on the swap…

Um…I can attest to the fact it’s running. :shock: :shock: :shock:

KA-T Status: MAX

Do you even have a car??

Do you even have a car??[/quote]

Sure Do … Nervous?

Sure Do … Nervous?[/quote]

Yes!

Yes![/quote]

No!

Yes![/quote]

No![/quote]

Maybe?

All of us should be worried about FARMER!

Well it’ll be interesting to see what the overall weight of the vehicle is with driver in it. Given all the audio equipment and the heavier powerplant, the power to weight ratio may not be as high as some others.

That being said he will have more torque, but he’ll need stickier and wider rubber to hold it.

Glad to hear it’s running…