RC Car/Truck thread

You guys complaining about charge times should take a better look into it. New charge rates on decent packs are outstanding. A 3s 2200mah 45c li-po can be had for around 40 bucks US distributor, or 20 bucks from China. Most of these boast a 5c or more charge rate meaning you can parallel charge a 6s brick in less than 20 mins with appropriate charger and power supply. Granted you will be paying a shit ton up front for packs, charger and power supply, but nitro also gets expensive in the long haul. Nitro gets messy and it’s finicky with weather change but so sweet when screaming at 40k RPM.

Crazy torque with E-power also. I am looking at an E-Summit or something for the winter blues.

Electric is the way to go in terms of physical performance. Extremely reliable, quiet, can be run indoors all day, torque all over the place, temps don’t matter. The only real issue is the batteries are extremely important. Get a few of them, keep them charged, and get a fast charger for top offs.

Nitro cars are cool, and generally cheaper than a fast electric setup. However, they can be a hassle, and can piss people off if you keep zipping up and down the block.

Where is the best place to get batteries from? They were like $60 for the one they recommended to me. Can they be had cheaper if I buy more than one online? I need to buy a charger for them too, I was hoping to find like 2/3 batteries and a charger combo somewhere online.

Actually the batteries didnt look too bad now that I’m looking around. They wanted $60 for the 6000 LiPo and they look to be around $100 online.

Thats where i would look for fairly good LiPo batteries at a great price. Lots of the batteries are starting to be available in a US warehouse now, with cheap and fast shipping.

$60 for a 6000mAh LiPo sounds like a good deal… Was this a 3S I presume? Thats a fairly unusual capacity, however…

Well apparently, Glenwood R/C has a connection with the guy who makes the batteries they have. There was a kid there telling me all about it. He said he is apart of the race team there or something.

…Interesting. Only thing id be leery of is the 6000mAH pack is most likely a 3S2P pack. Meaning, there is going to be 6 cells inside, two parallel groups of 3 in series. You wouldn’t be able to properly charge and capacity balance the cells individually.

I suppose most people only do weaksauce voltage balance, and they’re going to essentially self balance in parallel anyways. But that price sounds good if its a good pack.

Nitro is kinda high maintance, I constantly check my motor to make sure it is running at a safe temp. If you run them when its too cold out it the fuel can gell up. You have to make sure you see a little blow smoke out of the exhaust otherwise it may be runnning too lean. Nitro is $30 bucks a gallon lol, but it lasts pretty long for me. Also even with Nitro you need battery packs for the servos, so they have to be charged too, they seem to out last you though lol

Batteries always seem to be my downfall… My energizer powered servo pack always sucked.
Runaway nitros are insane :smiley:

How much are older TC3’s worth these days?

I have a older TC3 with a Novak SS brushless and a Hitec Lynx 3D radio laying around that I never use… Its geared to do low 60s and is just too hard to drive on the street. Last time I had it out both diffs were slipping, I suppose just locking them is the way to go. I cooked two sets of diffs in the past with the Novak SS with a 7 cell…

If its worth something I wouldn’t be opposed to selling it… How much do these things go for?

Cool thread even know its four years old I never noticed it lol. But I have a litterally brand new 3.3 Revo for sale. Its had 2 quarts of nitro through it. Payed like 600 I wwant three. I have everything and extra stuff. Very very clean,proper break in and all that stuff I just never have time to run it. Anyone interested Lmk,thanks.

Spec point concepts (or SPC) is the battery company your thinking of. I run two 6000mah 30C Lipos from them and they are very powerful. I also have a venom 6000mah 30c lipo that i use for backup. I get about 20 minutes a run on a battery, takes about 45 mins to charge.

Ahhhh that’s correct. Would you say its best to just buy the batteries through the store?

i bought one at the store and one at fields. I like the traxxas connectors better than the dean’s connectors personally. Seem to hold alittle better.

Took a ride out yesterday to watch some races, looked like fun. Im definitely going to get back into it. Im going to pickup a SC10 and everything else I need probably next wk when I have some time.

Very cool sorry i didnt get a chance to talk with you more did you say you had an older stadium truck also?

My SC10 should be in tomorrow and I am more than excited. I need to scrap the money together for a battery and charger or I wont be out racing until another 2 weeks, unless someone has some extra parts laying around :slight_smile:

I always wanted a truck when I was a kid. What would be the best one to screw around in the snow with? I assume probably an electrical one that needs to be waterproofed? I was looking at HPI Wheelie Kings, what about a Clod or something from Traxxas?

So what kind of charger is everyone using? I know there are soooo many to choose from but what’s good?

I love my passport ultra for my heli batteries, and they sell it at Fields. http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=DYN4064

It’s a 100w charge with outlet power and very easy to use. Charges most types of packs too. Just make sure you get the proper connector for the packs you plan on charging or get the big squid they sell. Great entry level charger.

Or… build one of these?
https://youtu.be/S9UnqW6wrxI

http://www.horizonfuelcell.com/hobby_rc.htm