RE: JDM S13 for sale thread.

I was questioned on my actions in that thread by a SON member, and I would like to start this thread for anyone who has a problem with what I did.

I was very doubful of the sellers truthfullness, and was trying to get some solid evidence before condoning his sale. In effect, he is selling illegal goods on our site - which I don’t think we should allow. Especially in this case, since it is a very touchy subject.

I have been reading through the import laws (again), and even though they are clear enough in writing, I will be in contact with a Customs agent (as soon as they call me back) to be extra sure. There is no way the car he is selling is a legal car.

You can find the import laws here: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

Feel free to post your opinions here and if you have a problem with it I will justify my actions.

I am not saying whether or not the car is legal… but Jesse, just cause its
on Autotrader doesn’t make it legal.

It is illegal to bring the car in whole, but if he brought it in parts and built
it back up over here, its possible that hes got a driving 91 JDM 240 here,
although if customs was aware of this they would seize it.

Okay, so customs isn’t going to find out… fine… now how do you register
the vehicle? Its got no VINs so either you swap VINs (illegal), or register
as a kit car. If you swap VINs your insurance is as good as void, and if
you register as a kit car or hotrod, well… bend over.

Right, because there is an ad on auto trader, that means the car is legal. :roll:

Try and sound a little bit serious, or at the very least intelligent.

I just called Canada Customs, Transport Canada, and the MTO. You are not allowed to import enough parts to build a car that is less than 15 years old. If you do so, it is import fraud - if customs finds out, they will impound and destroy your car, then fine you. You cannot register a Japanese VIN with the MTO unless it is 15 years old or older. Anyone who doesn’t believe me can contact me for names and numbers of where to reach the people in government.

I am now fully convinced and 100% sure that his cars are illegal - if what he has said is true.

You cannot register it as a kit/rebuilt car, unless you have it meet Canadian safety standards. In this case they will issue you a VIN at the MTO, and he says his is registered as a 180SX which has a Japanese VIN.

Hey, he does make a good argument…

So we want to avoid selling illegal things on the board, yet we seem to
be running a GB on Drift/Option videos that will then be ripped, copied,
and re-distributed to lessen the overall cost?

Doesn’t that just contradict the whole situation here?

If we wcan run a GB such as that, what is stopping the other person
from selling what we think is illegal?

A DVD wont land you a multi thousand dollar fine if you copy it. The only reason to oppose it here is to protect the members/potential buyers.

I never said I was for that GB anyways :wink:

Here’s the loophole. It’s not illegal owning a copy of a DVD if you own the original. So members of the club act as one to buy the originals, hence having copies of them isn’t illegal.

I know you weren’t part of that group buy. :slight_smile:

Just trying to make a point. Legal vs. Illegal.

Bah the DVD GB is a sham…

Unless… SON as an entity is buying the DVDs and all copies are property
of SON :stuck_out_tongue: