Rear end build

Hey guys.
I have a 1995 nissan altima so please excuse me if I’m not ALL that knowledgeable about the S13’s and S14’s rear suspension.

I recently purchased an S14 rear subframe and the plans will explain themselves soon enough.

I’m going to do a list of questions so if you guys could please shoot me some answers without crucifying me. That’d be great.

I need to know what kind of axles I’ll need if I’m going to run a 300zx rear differential. Can I still use the 5 bolt S14 axles or will I need to completely switch to the 300zx axles if I’m going to run with the Z32 aluminum uprights?

I understand that the 300zx runs an internal e-brake. Do you guys have to purchase a e-brake cable kit so that you can adapt your sytem to the 300zx system?

I already have SPL suspension components modified to fit the altima in the front of the car. I am thinking of going ALL spl in the rear end just to make it easier for me. Is this a good decision, or are there more economical and better performing options?

I’ve looked at several subframe build threads and some members have added material to box in certain portions like the upper tie bar. Since I have the subframe out, would you all suggest strengthening the subframe? and if so, where are the locations from which I should strengthen the system?

On the S14 rear subframe, near the front subframe bushing collar, there are rubber mounts or what seems to be counter weights, can those be removed?

How long is your rear strut? My oem strut which I don’t use anymore, measures in at about 19 1/2" from what I recall. This measurement may be off.

Any help would be much appreciated. I know a little bit here and a little bit there and unfortunately searching either here, or zilvia, or freshalloy, the mix of answers is so random…

• Billy

Oh, and I apologize to Adam’s13, Some business has come up recently and i’ve been flooded with work. I want to give you a ring and arrange for a meet so that I can pick up those aluminum uprights soon. I’ve been so swamped and I leave for europe next week.

S14 axles are 6 bolt my friend…

I’m pretty sure you eed the 300zx axles. I’m just not sure what model you need. and you don’t want the weak ass S-chassis axles anyways. So don’t even bother trying to use S-cahssis axles. Do yourself a favour and just use the Z32 if you can.

You can ghetto fab the e-brake to work or instead of cheaping out (Not saying that’s what you are doing) you can just buy the conversions.

The subframe doesn’t need to be “strengthened”. It’s a waste of your time if you can’t weld worth a damn. Or if anyone else you know can’t weld worth a damn… If anyone can prove to me why it would need to be strengthened, please enlighten me and I’ll weld mine up…

All it really needs are new bushings… Maybe a fresh powder coating…

Those little counter weight things you speak of. If I understand what you are asking, then they should be diff bushings…