rebuild motor, won't turn now

Here’s the overview of what I did:

1. Installed new intake cam, got timing off, bent all 8 intake valves
  2. NAPA installed new valves along with the new cam, also set the timing between the intake and exhaust cams
  3. During downtime I installed High Comp pistons w/ new rings
  4. Installed new rod bearings, standard size

Things I know I did wrong or should have done:

1. used assembly lube between rod bearings and rod/journal
  2. Did not use plastiguage when installing new bearings

Problem:

1. Reassembled motor, installed new timing belt. Went to turn the motor over by hand on the crank pulley. Cam gear turned about 30deg then the motor would not turn anymore.
  2. when I installed the pistons, about 3 weeks ago, everything spun freely.
  3. Blipped the starter, still wouldn’t turn.

Any thoughts???

P.S. The car is a 1998 tiburon, 2.0l

It was at top-dead center (compresson on cyl-1)when you put the timing belt on correct. I get the feeling the timing is off.

^^ I dont know if timing would stop it from turning by hand. Half-Life soon? :slight_smile:

Did you over torque the main/rod caps?

Yeah, over torquing main bolts will cause an engine to be binded up, found that on out the hard way

I’m at work, and I have no internets at home anyways. :frowning:

lack of any lube on the crank bearings + never being run b4+ timing belt tension could= way to much friction for the crank to spin

if you can, pull the pan, plastigauge it, and lube the bearings when its put back together , best if done w/ the timing belt removed so you dont score the crank or bearings from lack of lube

Are you 100% sure you put the bearings in right and didn’t crush any of them?

ok, since im the only one that read this correctly, then obviously something happened when you installed the head. From the sounds of it you have piston/valve contact again. Now I have a feeling your cams and bottom end are NOT in time, i dont know how the cam timing coulda been preset since they can very easily move do to spring/lobe pressure. The cams need to be set at 0 and the #1 cylinder needs to be tdc.

remove the head and get the valves leaked. Because you probably bent another valve or 2. Then you need to look at the piston hight at TDC and make sure the skirts arent peaking out from the deck. You also need to be aware of high compression/high domes because they may also come into contact with the valves if clearances arent right. In this situation you will need to CLAY the motor to see and measure you piston/valve clearance.

Just something to think about. good luck

oh, is the tranny attached??? if so make sure its in neutral.

I’m with ^ guy.

Sounds like piston to valve contact.

i was there… i set the timing, the timing on the head and the bottom end were spot on when i put it together… unless they screwed up the exhaust cam, the intake cam was spot on