recommend a place in florida to stay for a week (december)..

Can anyone recommend a good place to visit that is within driving distance (5-6 hours max) of Orlando, FL in December?

We are looking for warm weather, and some decent stuff to do (aquariums, etc)…

I’ve already been to tampa and st pete beach, also cocoa beach, and the space coast.

We don’t like Orlando, it is too ghetto if you go outside of the Disney labyrinth.

We are going to be flying into Orlando because the airfare is dirt cheap, and rental cars are dirt cheap.

I was looking at going to Key West, but that looks to be a little too expensive…

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

subscribing…

Hutchinson island

i used to stay here when i was a little boy - http://turtlereef.bfxmedia.com/

Ft myers/sanibel area

↑ Word, Sanibel Island. I was just there a few weeks ago and loved it. The beaches are clean and quiet and weather is very nice. Great place to rent a bike and cruise around, seems to be the way to go there. There is also a place that sells Hotdogs and shit that started in Buffalo, good food there. The Island Cow is a good restaurant as well. I would deff. recommend going there to relax. There are no night clubs or anything like that so dont expect to see that, its just a nice place to chill and relax.

keywest is also pretty nice in dec. I would recommend driving there for a day if you have it. You can stop in Miami on your way back or there. If you never been to Miami I would Deff. recommend stopping there and go to south beach for the day.

I’m about 5 miles from hutchinson island and about 40 miles from wpb… its definitely cheaper here than palm beach, but orlando is cheaper with more to do…

Its quiet here, which is nice, but there isnt much in the name of attractions…

Key west is fun, but pricey… not to mention its a LONG drive from mco…

How long exactly are you planning on staying for?

---------- Post added at 08:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49 PM ----------

thats 8.8 miles driving distance from my house… i spent saturday on that beach… :slight_smile:

Thanks we are going to Ft. Myers/Sanibel for about a week.

Flying into orlando and renting a full size car in orlando saved over $200 versus flying into Ft. Myers and renting a car there.

I think thats worth a couple hour drive from MCO to Sanibel…

Estero and Sanibel are great choices. I haven’t been down there in a number of years but have family that lives in the area and loves it :tup:

notbuffaloville

Never been to Florida but I’ve heard the keys are great from my buddy who makes a couple “trips” a year down there.

thats 8.8 miles driving distance from my house… i spent saturday on that beach… :slight_smile:

super jealous. i’ll be in jacksonville in a few weeks for a hot minute, and again in jan for a week or so, my parents relocated there in july, thinking srsly about following them, but i would miss my friends and other family, gf’s family, ect so much

You will deff. love it if you like to relax and chill. get a map from your hotel and check out the light house, marina, beaches, etc. Its really small island so you could do it all in one day but its also really nice. I would recommend taking the 75 back to Miami for a pit stop back before you go up to Orlando, its 2 hours out of the way from Sanibel but if you haven’t been there you should check it out. I personally love Miami, my wife graduated from the U when we were dating so I have been there a million times and it gets better every time I go, its a lot different from Sanibel to Miami but its worth the day trip. I just did this trip two weeks ago and it was great. Have fun.

Stayed AT The Sanibel Inn, great place and cheap, free bike rental has a good pool 20 second walk to the beach, everything you need.

I was just in Orlando for a week and got back today. It is ok and I stayed there only because I was part of a wedding party. You are deff right for not wanting to stay in Orlando IMO.

I go to WPB usually every winter and love it there so much. I am not sure about prices since I stay at a family members house but you could probably stay in Jupiter for pretty cheap and head into WPB. Or the area willy and others suggested looks great and is also somewhat close.

Jensen Beach

Ya I’m pretty sure I already suggested this

sarasota bradenton area, ideally Englewood… cruise out to boca grande. good times there, if you love quiet, relaxing, underpopulated beaches. It’s less than an hour north of fort myers.

st. petersberg

Having been on both sides I like the gulf side better…I know you’ve already been there but tampa/clearwater/st pete/sarasota/siesta key are all so close to each other that there’s tons of stuff to do there within a short distance. The Atlantic side had too many towns full of old people and rednecks for me once you get outside the major metro areas…

I’m in Fort Myers right now… we’re headed over to Sanibel this afternoon :slight_smile:

We should do a NYspeed event here next fall…lol… wife and i come down during my b-day / anniversary week and stay at a friends condo just off S. Tamiami in South Fort Myers.

Sarasota is a very nice area, I spent many summers down there with my Dad when I was younger. St. Armands Circle has some nice beaches along with Mote Marine aquarium. If you go to that area make sure you go to the beach on the very north side of Long Boat Key, very quite and secluded

that sounds awesome. i have a aunt with 2 condos in South Ft. Meyers. one she rents out as a vacation place and the other she lives in. the rental can fit about 8 people pretty well.

IN FOR A FL NYSPEED MEET!