Recommend a quick vacation the week before christmas.

So my fiance and I are planning a move to Texas, we were going to fly into Dallas and try to hit a couple major cities and scout out some different areas.

She only has time off from her internship the week before Christmas, and the airfare is triple what it should be, so the scouting trip to Texas is out.

Recommend a place within a reasonable few hours driving distance that is a lot of fun, and where there is a lot to see. Budget is about 500 bucks and the trip would be 2-3 nights max.

We have already been to Toronto 3x this year, pretty much seen everything we wanted to. We also stayed in rooms on the Canadian side of the falls, that was OK also.

I was thinking of driving to Atlantic City or NYC, but that seems to be too far of a drive for such a short trip, and who knows how the weather will be. So that is out.

Any cool “one tank” vacations?

If its going to be around Christmas time check out Utica Ny or Geneva. Both amazing areas in the winter and if you like to snowmobile you can rent them there and cruise around everywhere.

Pittsburgh?

Heart set on Dallas? I recommend Houston, Ultradriver1000 is on the north side which is one of the nicest areas, and then hit downtown Westheimer, and The Galleria area’s as well.

A close second to Houston would be Austin, 6th street, Emo’s and so on. Then would be San Antonio, Alamo, riverwalk etc.

Anything north of Austin including the DFW area is yankee land still.

We were just talking about Atlantic City yesterday in the bachelor party thread. lol

I would say just go there. There’s a lot of different things to do and the drive isn’t that bad. I’ve done it.
PM boxxa if you want more info, he was just telling us all about AC yesterday. He knows a lot more than I do.

Oh yeah, and NYC IMO is one of the coolest places on this planet - going there would be a good idea.

---------- Post added at 01:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 PM ----------

I always thought Geneva was a cool town. What else is there to do there?

No my heart is not set on Dallas. That is the place where airfare seems to run about $120 each way from buffalo, and the rental cars are 9 bucks. It makes a good hub to drive to some other cities, and check it out. I talked to Ultradriver a little bit on PM a few weeks back, Houston does seem really nice also. I have some family in Austin also.

The place we will move will honestly be where we can get a job. Social Workers are needed pretty much everywhere.

Lake Placid is pretty nice I have never been to the daks in the winter but im sure they are nice. Thats around a 6-7 hour drive.

Montreal is also like a 7 hour drive. And there is quite a bit to do there on the cheap.

Otherwise go to ellicottville rent a nice room and get free ski passes and give it a try. Also the town is really nice.

thats all I got

I was just in Lake Placid in August. It was nice, but a but touristy for me. Girls like that shit though, with all the stupid knick knack shops and whatnot.

Austin > all that other crap in Texas

I HATE HOUSTON.

It’s like a strip mall for 50 miles in every direction.

ithaca

NYC around Christmas time is freaking awesome. There is SO much to do without doing the total tourist trap stuff that it can be done on the cheap. I think that 2-3 nights in NYC is perfect. Right when you want to murder someone, it’s time to leave.

Yeah, the 1960 outter loop is just that. Having lived there, I found lots of places to go & network of friends down there. I miss it.

Yep, great time of year to go. Perfect for a long weekend.

You can stay at killington. They are doing stay 4 nights for 3. Super cheap. I booked a trip for 4 lodging with lift passes for 850.

if nyc and toronto is out then the only other somewhat decent places you can get to on 1 tank of fuel would be pittsburgh or cleveland.