Recommend me some summer tires

I got 2 years of pretty aggressive driving from the summer tires that came on the car and the dealer had put them on new when I bought it. I don’t doubt that the drive home from Atlanta through Tail of the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway contributed a lot of the wear. :slight_smile:

FedEx dropped off a big Falken pile of tires today.

2 Likes

Who does everyone use to get tires mounted and balanced? Any one have a good person that works with you on pricing/might cut you a better deal if using cash. (PM me if the cash situation is there and you don’t want to list the company, not trying to ruin anyones business)

I usually go to Ryan and Andy over in Lancaster (Super Tire Change Brother that used to advertise on here). I had some snows that were particularly difficult to get a perfect balance on that I ended up taking to Dunn though since their new location on Sheridan has a Hunter Roadforce Elite and they’ve been perfectly smooth to 90+ since.

I’ll be getting in touch with Ryan when I get these mounted/balanced.

2 Likes

This is the place to go as it will be in the middle of the night on roads primed for sticker removing heaters…

+1 (is that still a thing?) to Andy and Ryan as well.

I would tell you guys you can ask me and I would hook it up but I had to send my hunter machine out to get rebuilt. I’ll check back when I get it back up.

3 Likes

Just bought some general g-max as-05s from dunn today.
$25 each for the install.

Only took 2 hours, but I didn’t have to wait for shipping.

I really should figure out this wear issue.

Are… Are those really your tires?

That’s bad toe with a sign of a dying shock

Really need to get off my ass and get mine mounted/balanced. No below freezing temps through the end of the month on the super extended forecast. Probably swap to my bald summer tires on my summer rims this weekend and try to find someone to do the mount/balance of the new tires.

I think that tire had some other issues too.
Rear shocks do seep pretty spent. Recently I was getting an odd push sideways on the BS raised patches on the 290.

That tire had some vibration and what I would call a raised spot like a small bubble. could have been cupping. Not sure and the wear was not all the way around. Just that area.

The car is somewhat low, and I blew out my jack last fall, so I don’t really have a good way to get under it.

Dunn said no to checking the alignment because its an MB. something about weighting seats and the trunk with 250lbs. I’ll have to get one eventually. after checking and/or changing shocks and links.

They also offered me zero services. checking fluids, filters etc. That was a nice change.

I do plan to move south some day.
Just feeling out southern maintenance practices.

Have an appointment at the Super Tire Change Bros to have Ryan mount/balance them next Thursday, so yes, they’re still doing tires.

1 Like

Just got Firestone to quote me on some 225/45/17 and 255/40/17 Firestone Firehawk Indy500’s. They came out cheaper mounted and balanced than the cost to have just the tires shipped to my house from Tirerack. I told the girl straight forward that I wanted a specific tire, specific size, etc. She starts trying to show me all seasons and other stuff, I had to correct her, tell her how I can get tires from tirerack and have someone mount them and pretty much calling them to see if they can beat the price or they don’t get the business. They beat the price of just the tires shipped to my door while doing mounting and balancing. They should be going on next week Monday. Got the AP2v1 wheels sitting in boxes ready to be put on the S2k. So happy to have wider tires and a little less sidewall flex.

I looked at those but the wet performance was considerably worse than the Faulkens.

I did go with tires from Firestone for the Enclave though.

I haven’t really had the car out much in the rain since I took ownership of this one. The last one was daily driven for the most part, this is a nice day driver now.

Pretty happy right now with the cost of these Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s going through Firestone instead of Tire Rack. Tire Rack shipped to my house was $650 after tax. (Comes with the 2 year free road hazard protection) I told the girl what I could get them for and was looking for her to beat the price and said it to her straight forward. I got quoted $613 after tax mounted and balanced with their road hazard on. I decided to remove the hazard protection because they go by remaining tread depth. So I’m $540 after tax with them mounted and balanced. Saved me roughly $170. Figured that would cover the cost of a new tire if I have a problem with one so no point in having the road hazard to save money if it doesn’t get used.

I love Miata tires lol.

I bought Dunlop DZ102s and my total came to $353 shipped for all four tires.

2 Likes

In the past I was going with tires that were around the $400-450 mounted for the 16" wheels on the S. I wanted some nicer tires this time around since I got the new 17’s going on and the car doesn’t see a lot of road time. But $353 is awesome, and I’m sure that’s for decent tires too.

1 Like