Red Rocket vs. Hometown Hero

That’s good to know, I’ve only heard good things about them too. The package actually came today, but my house’s doorbell is broken so the guy didn’t drop it off. :frowning:

At least I got my helmet :).

M4 Pro size 7 1/2. Such a good deal. It fits waaay better than my Lrg Bell Racestar III. I think it’s just the padding is thicker.

So if anyone else wants a SA2005 helmet for CHEAP http://shift518.gom-host.com/showthread.php?t=7633

Back from the dead.

That suspension kit came in. Sold parts of it off I didn’t need, and returned the camber arms since they were for an S14. Still waiting for the s13 ones to come.

So. here is real progress.

Since my e-brake didn’t work at all (I’d roll down any incline I parked on), and the left rear caliper was seized, I had to do something for safety’s sake.

Since I didn’t want to chance it on my ebrake cables or calipers causing the problem decided to just go big - 300zx brake upgrade big. Had to redrill the rear rotors to 4 lug, luckily the fronts were brembos drilled in 4 and 5 lug, so I used one rotor as a template. The 300zx calipers are 4 piston fronts and 2 piston rears. Compared to the 1 piston calipers all around stock = Big difference. My friend and I theorized they’re the same brakes they use on the WRX. Someone confirm this?

Hot-Carl looking pretty for the camera. He probably did more work than I did.

Fronts were cake.

Rears. Not so much. Since the 300zx uses a drum brake for the ebrake (Which is totally awesome btw). The e-brake assembly is attached to the dust shield on the 300zx. So, since the hub and the upright sandwich the dust shield. The Hub has to be removed which means removing all of the suspension arms, and then trying to pry off the hub from the upright which was rust-welded together. Sham.

Didn’t get any pictures of it disassembled, these make it look easy. Did tension rods and toe rods while I was at it.

All in all it was alright. I had to replace one of the hardlines since it was rusted and broke when I took it off. Then, one of the ss brake lines is leaking, and we sheared an eccentric bolt for one of the toe rods in back. Waiting on replacements in the mail. As long as they arrive before Saturday I’ll be happy.

*EDIT
Also got a roof wing. Didn’t like the S13 hatch ones. Not big enough, so i got one from a G35 and made it fit. It has a gap in the center since the curvature is different, but I honestly like it that way. Just need to make sure the air coming underneath doesn’t create enough lift to rip it off.

It’s just begging for a hatch wing now. Origin 3 piece? Yes please… Yeah uhhh maybe when i have money.
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-90362619970623_2045_15130278

Nice install. I’m currently debating on whether to install my 300zx rears or leave them stock, I don’t want to mess with the drum style parking brake. I was thinking maybe installing a hydraulic hand brake setup, but don’t want to cut up my center console too much. Any input?

Honestly, I’ve heard both good and bad. People love them, but sometimes it’ll lock up the rear wheels an not release. Thus, I decided to avoid them.

Tungsten doing work…

What made you decide to do the rears as well, better brake bias F/R? I read something back in the day on Freshalloy about brake bias and how going Z32 fronts only screwed it up big time but that’s all paper stuff…

How do they actually feel?

Nice work on the brakes… I got the GP sports Roof wing a couple weeks ago, theres def a HUGE difference in the two. I like how that sticks up more. I Also got a Gp sports hatch wing a while back… basically the same type you wanna get.

looks great mike. Z32 calipers look/perform great on almost any older nissan. have you seen the 370Z brakes? they’re styled after the Z32’s, pretty cool if you ask me

http://www.370z.com/Portals/0/Magazine/Articles/370z_Brakes/1.%20370Z%20Front%20brake.jpg

Too expensive if you ask me.

rollseyes

drives like a dream :excited

yeah you just got a KA, you don’t need it. I get bad brake fade with my setup, can’t wait until I get the 300zx brakes installed.

wait are we talking about the 370z or the z32 brakes?

Does it matter? they’re practically the same.

my brain hurts

Its not your calipers and rotors that are the problem, its whatever shit pads you are using. Now if you want the 300z brakes because they look cooler that’s one thing but don’t try and justify them because your brakes fade due to poor pad choice.

Oh yeah I got shitty pads, but I figured why not just upgrade everything? I was thinking of getting Brembo blanks with Hawk street pads. I don’t think I need any special cross drilled/slotted rotors. The car is just street use.

I love me my Hawk Performance Ceramics.

And they don’t dust, like at all…and when they do get dusty it’s this weird tan dust, not putrid black shit.

Archie: Are we still on for Tuesday next week?

And well I don’t feel any difference in my brakes. I had HPS pads on my stock brakes, so I had no problem locking them as it was. I did notice that the pedal is much softer. Pretty lame. A z32 brake master cylinder is on the way. ultimately I need to get better tires to improve my braking.

However, I changed the brakes out since my rear left caliper was seized and my ebrake didn’t work. So… ebrake isn’t any better, I’m going to adjust it right now. Wish me luck.

*Edit don’t understand why people say adjusting the ebrake is hard. It’s SUPER easy. Took me 15 minutes to do both sides. Locks good now.

thanks for the old brakes mike. i’ve never had a big brake upgrade on any of my cars. i just switch out the rotors for slotted and or drilled ones and get better pads and the brakes are 100% better than stock.

Wallace, I PM’d you

Hey was this 240 for sale on craigslist a while back? I saw a red one, with the same rims on there. Well either way, both cars look great