red top ecu blacktop motor

just wondering if it matters if im running a redtop ECU with a blacktop motor??

nope. doesn’t matter.

The only difference would be if you had a Type-X Motor designed for a J4 ECU.

i have a 97 blacktop so im thinkin it could b a type X and im having idle problems like revs from 1400-2000 up and down

IIRC Type-X’s are just a 180sx trim.

I.e. body mouldings/wing/interior/etc. with no actual performance gains.

The wires for the O2 sensor are not in the same pin location. You can re-pin the plug if you really want. That’s the only difference I have ever heard of/had to deal with.

would the O2 sensor b the reason for my idle problems??? can u send me the pin locations by any chance??

I suppose it COULD be the problem, I wouldn’t begin with that as the cause though. Not sure where I found the wiring diagram, I am pretty sure I don’t have it anymore. If you check FA I think there’s a thread on the issue there with some sort of rough diagram.

Is your throttle plate fully closed when it’s trying to idle? Not going below 1400RPM would lead me to believe it’s sucking air from somewhere.

aite nice i’ll check all my hoses and my IAC and stuff thanx

If its a type X harness meant for a J4 ECU then the car would not even start with out a repin. So that is probably not your problem. There are SLIGHT differences between the 62 and E5 ECU’s try to see if someone will lend you a E5 to try that could be the source of your problems. That or a vaccum leak.