reinstalling S13 transmission

Looking for any info. to help reinstall an S13 5 speed transmission - we have jacked up the front of the engine (to lower the back) and are still having a difficult time reinstalling the tranny -any helpful tips would be appreciated.

is it on a hoist?? I’ve done this a couple times and its always a pain. My advise is to (if you have more then one person) get the splines in to the point where it gets held up on the pilot bushing, which is im sure the point your at. Then relieve any supporting devices (tranny jack ect…) having one person holding up the tranny and the other wiggling and pushing on it til it slides in.

I spent probably hours trying to get them in using a combination of jacks to no unveil. When I did it this way it went it in a couple trys, probably less then 10 minutes.

Good luck

We have the car lifted about 1 foot off the shop floor -high enough to remove the tranny easily . It seems as if we can not get the front of the tranny high enough to line up the shaft to go back in and are jamming the bell housing against the tunnel.

here’s how i do it, jack up the front of the engine to the point where it almost lifts the car off the jackstands, then tilt the tranny in on as much of an angle as you can (back down, front up) and get the input shaft as far as you can into the clutch.

then slowly bring the back of the tranny up as you push the input shaft further into the clutch.

it should then just slide right on, if the clutch isn’t 100% perfectly aligned it may stop about 3/4" away from the engine. in this case just use the starter bolts with a bunch of the tranny bolt washers on each starter bolt, then put them on opposite sides of the bell housing and alternate tightening each one. keep doing that until you can get the proper bolts to thread into their spots.

good luck.

^ this method definitely works, Brendan is the man.

If your hitting the firewall on the bellhousing then flip the tranny around so the starter arc is facing down.

I’ve done this twice and it isn’t easy. Just keep trying and you’ll get it.

Thanks for all the input -will let you know what worked.

John

also, loosen the engine mounts a bit for more play,

and/or have someone inside the car (I use a butchered seatbelt) and have them support the weight of the rear half through the shifter hole…

good luck…

save yous self some time

remove the exhaust (catback)

the motor will tilt so much more

and the tranny will go in like a breeze

oh yeah, i forgot to mention that. i always unbolt the exhaust at the cat, the motor will barely tip back at all if you don’t.

loosen the sub frame…don’t forget to put a stand under the sub. drop it about an inch. takes 3 seconds to put tranny back in. just make sure you didn’t bend the forks on your pressure plate fighting with it before. i made that mistake already

S13GG has another great idea.
I also did this after discovering how hard it was to hold it from the back. I wrapped a strap around a bar and had a friend hold it through the shifter hole. You can do this for hours with no rest, it’s easy.

Best of luck.

won’t this^ cause alignment issues?

Hey

Thanks guys for all your input - now completed -for us the most help came from disconnecting the exhaust (which we did not want to do originally) that enabled us to raise the front of the engine higher -using a bottle jack under the alternator bracket -lifted tranny using a floor jack -tranny slid straight on -no rotation needed.-took 10 minutes from starting to lift to installing the bolts

thanks again for all your input -much appreciated

John

nope. subframe will only tighten up one way. no alignment issues

loosen the subframe??? how will this help ???

your dropping the motor… therefore makin it insanely easy to put the tranny back in.

or u can un bolt the cat back

and its even easier