rejuvenation of an O.G. S4

I bought this S4 over the summer to have some fun in the snow with… Since it hasn’t snowed I’ve been slowly trying to rejuvenate it to a loved condition from its extensively neglected condition currently. The person I purchased this off of let it sit in his yard for almost 2 years under pine trees, so you can imagine what that did to it. I doubt anyone has seen it around as I have been knee deep in a complete heater box rebuild. Looking at attempting to make this my DD by July but then again its german.

The paint looks like its been washed with a brillo pad or the car is made of brushed aluminum. From what I’ve read it looks like im just going to embrace the brushed aluminum look :banghead

what year is that?

Its a 93

Your paint issues with this car are extremely common. It’s actually quite rare to find one with good paint even if the car has been well maintained and stored.

Either way, love it. Few five cylinder nuts on this board, myself included, so if you run into trouble feel free to ask anything here and you’ll get an answer.

nice ride. def a few audi nuts on here. im sure they will lend a hand if needed.

the car runs like a top and i love the sound of the 5cly. i think most people would have parted this one but ive been very lucky to score excellent replacement parts on the web. My brother gave me an 86 5000 turbo 6yrs ago for a few months while my old gsr was getting repainted. The exhaust had fallen off the 5000 and it screamed, ever since that car ive always had a sweet spot for 5cly audis. I would also be lying if a particular 200 from this site didnt motivate me into purchasing this car.

I will definitely be asking for advice/help from all on here, im an amateur wrencher at best and will need all the guidance i can get. This is my first turbo car, and first german so i will need all the help i can get so thank you in advance :wink:

Nice car, just remember the ground wire in not black, it brown. Damn Germans!

Awesome pickup man! Where about are you from? Have we met?

I live in Glenville, from CP originally. We have never met but I have been trolling your thread since I purchased the car. The 200 is truly badass

Haha, badass. Thank you sir!

Car is a beaut! Can’t wait to see what you’ll do with it.

The heatercore replacement has been an interestings journey to say the least. These cars have a self contained heater box assembly that houses the core and blower motor which was squealing and also needed replacing.
Step 1 remove the box

Step 2 crack it open and replace everything

Step 3 put it back together incorrectly by reversing a flap
Step 4 take apart and reverse the flap
Step 5 reinstall and still have no heat
Step 6 find this little POS mini motor had died and left the flap stuck on cold air

Now the car will only have heat until i get around the manually moving the
flap in the summer…on a positive note

Much nicer with new wheels

Anyone ever hardwire the cooling fan? Im looking to put it to a switch on the dash in order to have complete control over it. Can i tap into this for a power source to fun the aux cooling fan?
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/lyncat85/photo.jpg
The fan worked over the summer until the tray under the car cut the wiring. I have tested the fan which is functional, replaced the relays, replaced the sensor at the bottom right of the radiator im just not sure what else i could do wo hardwiring it.

You really got to ride in the 200 to appreciate it. It was undefeated at H2O last year!

I’d advise repairing the original fan circuitry if possible. Putting the fan on a switch is a cob-job in my opinion.

Maybe fix the wire that got cut?

im going to dive into it further this weekend hopefully, I just felt defeated when posting this. I had fixed the compromised wiring and still no luck. I’ve tested the fan which works as well as replaced the 214 relays. I now need to look into finding the resistor pack which is behind the inter cooler/under the washer reservoir and check the condition of the wiring.

This car still misfires at full boost so I have only a slight idea of what it can do (I have new coil packs on my table), the 200 from all the youtube vids I have watched is a complete beast. Im always looking for it on the road and hope to see it in person sometime.

Definitely do not tap a circuit for the fan. Big draw right there. either repair the existing circuit, or replace the entire fan assembly and wiring with an aftermarket piece.

You can buy dirty cheap fans online @ places like siliconeintakes.com or similar, they’re actually decent fans for the money. You can use the factory thermotime switch to trigger a relay, just be certain that the relay coil field is powered off a key on circuit, otherwise the fan will continue to run key off until the motor completely cools down(= dead battery when you return).

I think i found the culprit, this connection was buried under the intercooler outlet and is totally burnt out to a crisp.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/lyncat85/photo-1.jpg
Is this just a connector or is it more complicated than that? Its the connection from the cooling fan to the resistor pack. To me it looks to just be a connector, which i think im going to completely rewire from scratch with some nice clean connections. Everything is pretty corroded and nasty looking.