Republican Primary Debates

First was last night. Anyone else catch it? The GF’s dog broke her leg which killed my plans for the night but gave me some TV time, lol.

The debate wasn’t that great. And probably should have been called a question & answer session instead of a debate.

Ron Paul had a great line about heroin, but he’s still in the outfield on several issues which will make it super hard for him to be nominated.

Herman Cain was to the point and sounded the most electable.

The other 3 guys sucked. Typical “well ya know when I was ____ (Gov, Sen, etc.) I ____ (cut spending, taxes, etc.) and made the world a better place” politician lines.

Too bad this won’t be the final candidate field, it would be like a bye week in 2012 for Obama. The only “name” in it was Pawlenty, and he’s just too damn boring IMO.

You’ll hate on all of them Joe no matter if they’re exciting or not, lol.

This presidential race won’t matter much anyway. Republicans will win back the Senate and Obama will sharpen his veto pen…

Don’t be so sure. The young voters and minorities will be out again in 2012, and the Ryan budget just pissed off all the old people that came out for the right in 2010. It’s sad but the misuse of the filibuster by both sides has made control of the Senate pretty much irrelevant anyway for everything that can’t be shoehorned in as budget reconciliation unless someone gets to 60 again.

Out of all the potential R candidates the one I’d be least upset with as a President is Huntsman. I actually think he’s your best candidate in a general election too, but I bet the primary voters won’t get over the fact that he maintained a working relationship with Obama. Romney is the candidate of big business and the rich. Huckabee is the one of the Jesus freaks. Paul has some good ideas but others are too out there. Trump is just an attention whore. I’m not going to dignify Bachmann or Palin with a response.

Had the debate on tonight, here’s my simple ratings:

Bachmann :tdown:
Paul :tif:
Cain :tup:
Romney :tup:
Santorum :tdown:
Paulenty :tdown:
Newt :tup:
Huntsman :tif:

That’s only based on what they said TONIGHT.

Newt & Cain we’re to-the-point with real answers, but Newt had a better showing than Cain. Romney gave a few typical politician-type answers, but wasn’t bad.

Paul & Huntsman had some good points but neither has any real chance or seems “presidential” IMO.

The rest sucked and pointed fingers at each other, sucking up time from the rest of the 5 candidates who were giving “real” answers IMO.

Finally got around to watching the Fox & Google debate.

Cain :tup:
Newt :tif:
Romney :tif:
Huntsman :tif:
Paul :tif:

The rest :tdown:

Perry was absolutely terrible.

As long as Perry stays ahead in the polls :slight_smile: When you’re the candidate of the stupid wing of the party, sounding stupid actually doesn’t hurt your poll numbers.

So for those of you who haven’t realized, not that the 999 plan will ever see the light of day, but is very simple: you’ll simply pay more, and the rich will simply pay less.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/13/8304334-cains-9-9-9-tax-plan-is-simple-most-will-simply-pay-more

Nice to see Perry giving Palin a run for her money as dumbest republican since Dan Quayle.

Part of me wants to register as republican just to be able to vote for RP in the primaries. He’ll never win, but then I can get one of those “don’t blame me” bumper stickers.

He said “Libya,” and blinked rapidly, then said, “President Obama supported the uprising, correct? President Obama called for the removal of Kadafi — just want to make sure we’re talking about the same thing before I say, ‘Yes, I agree,’ or ‘No, I didn’t agree.’”

Then he said he disagreed, and began giving an answer, but then apparently realized that the answer he was about to give was on another topic.

These fucking jokers need to get off the stage. They’re taking too much time and press from real candidates who want to fix real issues, not just play pres-o-dint.

lol fun to watch isn’t it?

Are there any candidates in these debates who want to fix real issues? Romney just says whatever the polls say people want to hear and doesn’t actually stand for anything. Paul has some good ideas mixed in with some crazy ones, but he won’t be given the platform to fix anything by the establishment. Gingrich wants the attention to talk about how great he is. Huntsman has some good ideas, but nobody is listening. Cain, Perry and Bachmann belong in the BOCES class making wallets. The biggest non-BS platform I’ve heard out of anyone running this year is the one with the least chance, Gary Johnson. They don’t even let him participate.
http://www.garyjohnson2012.com/front

will any of them beat Obama?

Too early to say. Romney has the best chance but doesn’t inspire the jesus freaks that are a key part of the Republican bloc. Last time that happened, they all stayed home and McCain got destroyed. If the economy tanks further and Obama gets blamed he will have a very narrow path to win. If they nominate Bachmann, Perry, or Cain Obama gets a free victory. Gingrich has so many personal issues that he’d get scandaled to death.

Doubt it. Voters don’t go backwards once they elect a new generation, so that cuts out RP even though he’s my personal favorite and Gingrich even though he’s probably the most intelligent guy up there. Cain, Perry, and Bachman are jokes. Santorum’s an unlikeable weiner. Huntsman? Johnson? Who are they? It’s pretty much up to Romney and the economy.

Looks like it’s Gingrich’s turn to be the non-Romney flavor of the month. Let’s see if it works out better for him than it did for Bachmann, Perry and Cain

I bet he’ll do alright. If it weren’t for his age and skeletons in his closet I’d say he’s got the best shot at Obama.

I’m personally hoping for a Palin/Bachman ticket.

Where are they going to fit a kitchen in the oval office?

what are gingrich’s skeletons?

Off the top of my head, got paid 1.6 million by freddie mac to get favorable policy from Republicans in Congress while they were starting to implode, led the impeachment of Bill Clinton for having an affair while at the same time having affairs and divorcing multiple wives (HUGE for republican jesus freak primary voters), all kinds of pay-to-play scandals, was forced out as Speaker of the House on ethics violations, I’m sure there’s more…