REST IN PEACE...: Custom Bing's Manifold - Externally Gated

Hey folk,

Just wanted to give you an update…

Thanks to Jeff (Jedi_Car_Fan) and his Dad for some topnotch fab work.

Mani is currently at Fireball getting ceramic coated and I’m hoping to have it “in” within the next week.

http://www.son240sx.ca/cpgallery/albums/userpics/11066/normal_externalgate1.jpg

You might want to hold off on the ceramic coating and get the whole manifold heat treated first… welding that ‘metal’ is nasty, the high carbon content will make he point just beyond the weld very brittle. Unfortunately I didn’t get an anysys of the metal till after I’d welded one up… the metal broke right after the welds. welds were mint… metal broke. using 304L rod on the metal won’t help either as the 304L rod has a much higher expansion rate then the high carbon ‘stainless’ that used in those and the rest of products from that part of the world.

is the wastegate going to clear the hood?

it looks kinda high to me…

but still it looks cool.

How did they fit the extra pipe in there? get some pics of that, and inside the flange please. :lol:

oooeeee…

that’s not going to work.

1. I doubt it will clear the hood.
  2. If it does it will crack off within a week of hard driving…

Derek and Andy will back me up on this hypothesis :wink:

I’ll get some better pics when it comes back from coating. I only have a few that were taken at the shop.

As for clearance, it will fit. It was test fit on Jeff’s car and was designed to go were the catchcan is right now.

As for the welds breaking, time will tell. We took every precaution and also welded a support tab onto the bottom of the new tube

And if it breaks, wich I hope it doesn’t, we live and learn and perhaps with this thread I save some other person the same fate.

More pics early next week…

Well I’m pretty confident it will hold up… if it does not then as Dan said… it’s a learning experience

If it does hold up… then guys like Andy know where to come to have their shit done right :wink:

this will hold up, jeff’s dadd is like superman when it come to this shit , hopefully taiwanese stainless isnt his cryptonite , i doubt it

Bahaha - too funny.

Jedi_Car_Fan:

So your dad fabs manifolds? Or is this just something he managed to
do because he has access to welding equipment?

Just trying to get an idea of who I can turn to for building my manifold.

I’m with adam on this one.

If you think tubular manifolds crack fast, ceramic coating it will make that much worse.

Like BAS said, you could heat treat it … even do a quick job of it, heat it up really really hot in an oven, then let it cool down really really slowly. This will at least reducle likely hood of cracking.

It has nothing to do with HOW it’s welded… it has to do with the material it’s self, post heat treating and the load cycling. maybe you want to take a few moments to learn some metallurgy and welding before you start to shit talk other peoples work.

I hope your able to run at least a screamer pipe down to underneath of engine bay. Thats going to point right at your brake lines and firewall :?

Andrew.

booootleg

BAS = comic shop guys new account??

According to the IP, yes, yes it is.

[/quote]

he re-welded all my welds on my manifold, hasnt cracked , and has held up to bring glowing so hot it was clear , but hey what do i know about metal im just a welder :wink:

i dont think he was knocking your work BAS(i have no i dea wjo u are :roll: )

dont get so defensive when it comes to welding ability, the second he looked at my manifold he told me it had a high carbon content and set his tig up differently to modulate the pulse duration on his power station so he could cycle the heating and cooling of the metal so it wouldnt break

they trusted this man to work on our nuclear powerplants inside the boilers and re-acters so i think he can be trusted to weld a manifold

u dont need to take things so seriously BAS , why would u even get so offened when people tlk about andys work tht was done on his car seeing as u have only 11 posts as of this time

I’m confused, you’re a welder… but you have other people do your welding??

good thing the manifolds are cheap eh?

bah — my thread and I gave up on it already…

Too much crap talk…

For anybody interested in how it turns out – feel fre to PM me.

I’m confused, you’re a welder… but you have other people do your welding??[/quote]

i’m not very good at tig , i can tig but jeffs dad is better so he did it for me

haha – well some experiments are successful and some ar not…

I’m a big enough man to admit defeat…and for all of those that told me so…well now you can tell me “I told you so!”

She went in okay and sitting there…man did she look sweet.

Initial impressions were good…heading for the highway to have some fun. Blip the gas for a second and hit 7psi under 4k…cool

Roll onto the highway…BAAAAAM…the tial 38mm opens. Shit – thats loud… It’s pretty extreme when it opens.

Boost doesn’t roll on—it’s just plain THERE.

Oops - Overboost – 16pounds

So I hit 16.2 psi on an AVC-R setting that used to boost a consistent 11 pounds on my old setup.

So I turn the duty way down and do another little pull. I’m setting it for 12 pounds. Second pull I boost a consistent 10 pounds…so I turn up duty.

Do another pull…still only boosting 10 pounds.
Up the duty…still only 10 pounds.

Awww crap… leaking.

By the time I got home there was a pretty audible exhaust leak. The engine is too hot to find it now but it’s there somewhere…and I can only assume it is from the manifold somewhere.

I’ll keep you posted on whether it is the wastegate weld or one of the runners…either way…FULL-RACE here I come.