Review: Kyoto Japanese Steakhouse

I searched for any other related material as the place has been open for awhile but couldn’t find anything so please excuse me if someone reviewed this shit hole already.

Warning: This is a somewhat long review.

I’m a big fan of Shogun and I pretty much compared the two.

Drinks- average selection of beers, larger soft drink sizes than Shogun. Mixed drinks and specialty drinks, I really didn’t pay much mind to but I did see a HUGE drink that was on fire as the waitress walked by.

The mushroom soup is better at Shogun. I think it tastes better anyway.

The salad I got consisted of one zucchini slice and one tomato wedge, and some lettuce. Again, Shogun has more of a salad.

The sushi was meh. I’ve had better at Wegmann’s.

I had Hibachi Chicken and Shrimp with fried rice. Well, thats what I ordered anyway.

I got chicken and no shrimp. I did get two shrimp as part of the appetizer (as does everyone at the table), and after eating it, I was kinda glad they forgot about it. It was perhaps the fishiest tasting shrimp I have ever had. I’m thinking it was not so fresh.

The fried rice is no comparison. Shogun owns Kyoto by a mile. Kyoto’s excuse for fried rice was kinda bland. Shogun’s is way more tasty.

So we get to the staff.

The chefs aren’t nearly as skilled as the one’s at Shogun. It seemed like the chef had better things to do and just wanted to cook everything as quick as possible and get out. Plus he forgot my shrimp even after confirming it with me when he first came out.

The waitress removed the shrimp from our bill but then gave us someone else’s check.

They had a really clean bathroom though. I guess that was really the only good part.

Sorry for the long post, but don’t waste your time with this place.

:tdown: to Kyoto

I ate at Shoguns the other day.It was def a good expierence.Prices were alot cheaper then expected.Food and show :tup:

where is this place at?

The funny thing is my friend B used to cook at Shogun and now he’s at Kyoto as are a few other Ex-Shogun employees.:meh:

Its on Maple in Amherst.

Kyoto is cheaper than Shogun by a little. I forgot to put something in for prices.

I’m beginning to think it has something to do with Maple Rd. Many restaurants that start up over there don’t last.

Ironically I think the building Kyoto is in used to be Smokey Bones which last time I was there, had horrible food as well. Maybe that location is just jinxed or something. :gotme:

There is a new hibachi place right by bubble tea, went there a few weeks ago. It was pretty good but not quite as good as shogun. Price was almost half what I have paid for a meal at shogun so I guess you get what you pay for in this case.

It’s in the old Bennigans building not the smokey bones building, which still remains vacant.

You gotta remember though, its still a fairly new establishment. Give them some time to get their shet in order.

I really have been meaning to try this place out.

Went to Koto last weekend and the Hibichi presentation lasted like…10 mins and he was done…so fast and not enough time to enjoy it…Got shrimp hibichi and lo mein which was good and just enough.

they have this in vermont? :shrug:

I’ve eaten at both as well.

Agreed about the the mushroom soup. much better.

I also like the salad dressing better at kyoto.

The app. shrimp were ok, very chewy and fishy like you said.

As for the main course i ordered the filet and chicken combo. The filet was perfect but the chicken tasted like shit and was extremely chewy. I got the fried noodles instead though which shogun dosent offer and prefer that over the rice anyday.

As for the hibachi show it was ok. agreed that they are definately not as skilled as shogun and the wait staff wasn’t the greatest.

Next stop is that other hibachi place that opened next to bubble tea on sheridan.

Brian Botens?

Ahh you are correct. Like I said, restaurants keep opening and closing over there. Its hard to keep track.

I’ve been to Kyoto and Shogun before as well. I usually go to Kyoto for lunch and get sushi and have always thought it was pretty good. And the prices are not bad either. I just have just had less than favorable experiences with their wait staff. They always seem to forget things and I have to wait forever for the bill.