Review - Megan Racing Quick Release Hub - pix of my ride

I just installed this hub on my ride, and I love it! added safety pf knowing its pretty damn impossible to steal a ride without a steering wheel! my ghetto alarm, hahaha

but for real, very well made piece, super sturdy and not a bit of play or slack. and for the price, you can’t go wrong. check out pix on my cardomain link in my sig, under the s14 of course!

super sexy looking is always a bonus!

Hehe, I am in total agreeance (sp?) of that one! The Megan QR is sweet. And I also have an HKB hub, oddly enough…

thats a hot wheel…

whered you get that ?

GT

One of my boys got it for me from like, some shop… I think. Its not stolen, y0.

:lol:

Overdrive for the win. shameless plug 8)

forgot to mention a couple of things. the 2 thin metal spacers that are included in the qrh that go inbetween the HKB hub and qrh, and the one that sits between the actual steering wheel have a tab sticking out on them. It took me a while to figure this out, but the tab can actually be used as a ground for your horn! I’m not sure if this was its intended use, but i imagine it is and it is a brilliant idea, because i was using a spacer that came with the HKB hub, but could not beused with the qrh because it would not sit flush.

Also, the hub does make the steering wheel closer to you by a considerable amount. i did have to change the position of my seat once it was installed, and because of my stubby fingers, i cannot reach the signal/ wiper switches mounted on the steering column with my hands on the wheel. i gotta make an extra effort, and since i didn’t figure out how to install my signal return, its a little annoying after signaling. Also if u are tall and already feel crowded in your ride, you may wanna check out the hub in person before buying one because you may feel a little more crowded after its installed (anyone is welcome to check mine out!)

mods, jsut a suggestion, but do you think we should have a product review forum? since alot of guys have their own custom stuff they are selling here, it only makes sense??

just a suggestion, have a great weekend all!!!

That looks sexy Paul! When are you pulling out the S14?

You can always modify the hub to get the wheel closer. I shortened that hub soooo close and forgot theres that big nutt in the middle!..i was pissed thinking i ruined a perfect momo hub but lucky me the hole on the MR quick release was big enough for the bolt to go in…i just had to bend the contacts a bit inside the QR. The hub is about a inch and a half in lenght and with the QR the wheel is about a inch closer to the driver than stock. I can comfortably still hit the signal with my hand on the wheel while driving. How ever when i re-welded the hub i was a hair off so the wheels a bit offcenter but no one other than myself relizes that…no cars really flawless.

its already out!! waiting for the rain to stop and then i am gonna bleed the clutch and take her for a boot. i took the latest pix on cardomain yesturday!!

car sat for the whole winter with the occasional start up, and it runs just as well as ever. Nissan products are amazing, just had to add some air in my tires and gas her up.

anyone know where i can get a volt meter? gonna add that and maybe a push button start? we’ll see, hopefully score some brakes and rims while i am at it…

hey enzo got pix with the wheel on and off the hub? kinda curious to see what you did cause i am not clear at the moment if you cut your HKB hub.

thanks

I hope this works out…sorry for the ghettoness i dont have pics but ill snap a few…while im at it…anyone have a hub cover…Mine didnt come with one :evil: so i used electrical tape…for now. And to answer your queston yes i did cut the hub apart within hours of buying it…Their designed to collapse in an accident

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/2149/qrhub1pz.th.png

Checked out your pics on cardomain… cars is looking sweet Paul!

lol i love quick release hub’s they look soooo slick. I’ve always wanted to hand the steering wheel to an unsuspecting passenger on the road, and yes i know its not safe or smart, but it would be funny.

hey thanks Remy, trying to keep her clean!!!

Enzo, u are a brave man to cut your hub. i see what u did, but it took over 2 weeks to score my hub, and i don’t have access to the tools to do the mod, but it looks slick enough. sorry don’t have a spare hub cover either, u might have to contact a manufacturer for that piece, but i don’t know of any that make hubs in N america, i’m sure there is someone tho…

if u guys have an aftermarket steering wheel, u gota get a quick release hub, especially for the price they sell for, you can’t go wrong (wheel $320, HKB hub $80, megan racing qrh $80).

ot would be nice if the qrh could replace the actualy HKB hub, like a 2 in 1 unit, would reduce the length of the distance from the wheel to mating surface as well

Pics as requested. the overall length of the hub and QR is 2 1/2 inches long.
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2883/picture0571bd.th.jpg
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/4088/picture0580fd.th.jpg
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/1279/picture0627nq.th.jpg
http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/8104/picture0631iw.th.jpg

BTW Bellowfellow I have done that. quick story…but with my romote starter u put up the handbrake and push a button twice and u can take the key out while the cars still running(this way the romote starter/alarm knows im in neutral…so i put the handbrake up a tad so the alarm thinks its up…pushed the button twice removed the key…thought it would be funny to scare the gf…then i took the wheel off and i start faking panicing…now im slightly aiming right…so i put the wheel back on quick…But ohhh noo Steering lock…cuz theres no key…i got myself reall good better than i got her she said the look on my face when the wheel locked was priceless…dangerous…its way kooler to hit sum1 in the face with a car steering wheel if u ever find urself in a fight.

GreyGandalf_S14

Does your airbag light come on when you’re driving? I got the MR QR w/wheel and installing it this weekend on my s14. I read that people remove the bulb or possibly throw in resistor between the airbag-to-ecu sensor wires to prevent it from triggering the ecu fault code.

Which way did you do it?

dude pull the bulb out, it will take you 20 minutes max. u may also wanna pull out the fuse as well. i pulled out the passenger air bag, that little unit weighs at least 10 pounds, every little bit counts! if u need a hand don’t be shy to ask

enzo, u are hillarious!

Awesome - thanks for the info GreyGandalf_S14!

By the way - did you use that silver thick spacer (ring) that came with the qr hub - is that for installing an aftermarket horn button (?)?

Was a bit tight in there and the second connector head kept slipping off the contact rail whenever I put the horn button on so I rid of it.

This is my setup so far

http://www.makemilk.com/wtb/mods/horn_connect.jpg

can’t wait to put it on - needs a bit of touch up & polishing first.

http://www.makemilk.com/wtb/mods/hub_sideview.jpg

2 vice grips work just fine and take seconds to clamp onto the hub

^^^^^^^^thats a extra risk as well for the theift to take using vicegrips…if someone saw you driving a car with vicegrips as a wheel…Their goona call the cops. In a theifts mind he may not want to take on that extra risk. Therfor no wheel? theift may just say screw it, its not worth my rear end if im cought. It offers a bit more protection and style.

if you wana get fancy with it most good theives have wheels with quick releases attached to them and usually check out a car first. all it will do is stop the theives who are like hey lets steal a car.