Rotary Engine vs. Piston Engine - Opinions?

Ok Nissan Lovers. I won’t make this into a Poll because of the Piston Biased people on this board but…

What are the benefits of a Wankel Rotary engine over a Piston Engine? Lets say I were to swap in a motor into a random frame, what would make me pick the Rotary over the Piston engine if I wanted to make either of the various cars

• Small economy car
  • Small Sports Car
  • Small Race Car - Only Track
  • Medium size car with 4 doors
  • Large car with 4 doors
  • Small SUV
  • Large SUV

– Side note. Nissan did use the Wankel rotary in the first few production cars of their S110 (1979 - 1983 Datsun 200SX). They decided not to use it because of the inherent problems with Rotary motor stability. Rotary technology has significantly improved since.

PS. Josh, this post is for you and I expect you to participate the most.
PSS. Rabbit, I guess this is somewhat of a spin off to your thread.

rotary is amazing performance, high rev, very abusable>very high expensive maintenance( unless u know what you doing and you u are doing it yourself) battery hungry bastards,
Besides that absolutely love it

I agree with most, except this… and another part but that will come out shortly I’m sure.

My car, 3.0L V6 w/ 450RWHP. I get 300KM in a $60 tank.
My friend had a brand new RX-8. With light driving on his small 1.3L Renesas motor that made 237BHP, he got 300KM in a $60 tank.

My car is severely inefficient and he got worse mileage than me with half the horsepower and kick.

Better?–all opinion. Reliability?–questionable. Bad fuel mileage?–okay

One hell of a certified badass?-- You betcha!
Proof

youtu.be/http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEOHn7rspsk&eurlnty

Rotary’s have one issue, is they liked to be warmed up and cooled down. If you take your RX 7 out when its -40 and start it up and start redlining down the street, you will develop hot spots on the rotary wall. same with cooling down. The rotary engine design is extremely reliable. Plus with the removal of one part a stock 13B can shoot flames lol. Air planes use rotary engines, they must be reliable because they keep planes from falling out of the sky lol

-Light weight
-Its “smaller” size easily allows you to re-locate the engine behind the front axles. Allowing for better weight distribution.
-IIRC, 2 or 3 moving parts in a 13b rew
-Relatively cheaper to build for high boost applications, when compared to PE’s
-If built properly, it can run at max rpm all night long

Agreed, not fuel efficient.

Dyno chart please!:PPE
Even if its dyno-pack#'s, I want to see the power under the curve:)

Rx8 is total garbage and reliability is out the door. Trust me, I owned one for a whole 2 mths… Also, most Rx8’s dyno at less then 160whp…:LOL

I have a dyno chart, but it’s extremely peaky. I think I was telling you last time I saw you.
Anyway, no dyno charts until next year. Before and after dyno chart shots when I hit my ultimate goal. I figure next year beginning of summer.
I ordered some nice BB turbos that like to boost down low so I’ll have tons of useable power for DDing

Pat,
If at all possible, you should search for a junked out old Cosmo and rip out the 20b 3 rotor inside of her. I am sure it would take some effort to find, but if you were lucky enough to find one…
GG 600whp:R

20B FTMFW. Bye bye fuel mileage!

Rotary’s are cheaper to mod (in terms of some parts). All you need is a good engine and you can just upboost the damn thing and it’ll run all day long (with good tune of course). No need for forged pistons, cams, headgasket, crankshaft balancing, rods, none of that shit. In the end it’s relatively cheaper depending on build.

20B is probably by far the best bang for buck when it comes to building for power.

ya, much easier to build up.
All you really need is a street port, larger 3" Apex seals and if you have the money, lightweight rotors…
Then you can rev that baby to 10,000rpm…

no no… I’m not planning on buying one any time soon. Just looking at what people think about the difference, and Josh (whitefc) is all about these motors so I’m giving him a thread.

Rotary’s have a weak top ends…

flatsil240 you know wat im talking about.

Never heard this before. Rotary motors make power as they climb the RPM band, or at least that’s what I thought. Please explain how you come to this conclusion.

well ya, people are always blowing headgaskets…

ok… this baffled me… So I looked it up to verify cause I didn’t want to sound dumb.
Rotary motors do not have head gaskets. They do not have Cylinder Heads to have head gaskets. Are you sure you’re talking about the right thing?

LMAO!.. you obviously have no clue

i believe those are apexi seals there are lots of flaws but 20b tt puree sex

They are APEX seals not apexI seals. Apexi is a company that focuses primarily on automotive tuner parts

i have allway heard
bad on gas (like 20% worse or more)
need mucho maintenance
but with the mantenance comes lots of life.

never forget…no matter what it will allways take X amount of gas to make 300 or 500 hp…its the volumetric efficiency that determines how much exactly…

this is effected by
total compression without ping or knock
flow characteristics for the intake and exhaust cycles
and the dynamic of the pop expansion to force direction required…

the best for volumetric efficiency is this principal
this would be a sphere broken into soccer ball type valves with an impossibly floating spark plug in the center…now where is the piston in that equation??
cant be done
but the ninja star in the middle of a rotary blows this theory too

because its impossible…except for the Hemispherical head design…
now all you need is reversed dome pistons and a small enough bore/stroke ratio
and you are golden…