RPM doing freegames after 3000

I was driving last night and suddenly saw my rpm going up and down. My engine runs #1 and seems that it only happens once I get over 3000, under that it’s ok. Seems to be electric or something like that ? Any ideas ? Needle ?

whats up and down? Fast? slow? bobbing?

yeah some more info here. Do you hear the engine oscilating or it is just the needle that goes up and down?

I can almost bet its your tach. If you have any type of air flow (ie open windows, holes in the firewall) getting into your cluster then that can sometimes move the needles back and forth. I have this happen when the wind blows a certain direction and my windows are down on the highway.

Dutty MAF?

Like I said engine is fine, running A1 it’s just the needle that is bouncing up and down once I get at 3000 and +. I have a disconnected 02 sensor right now but probably not related. Will plug my new one tonight.

just the tacho is bouncing up and down

did you install a monster tach or a msd tach adapter for a coil or anything of hte sort? jantos is having this same issue.

No, didn’t do any mods lately exept a downpipe so… Yep only the tacho

werd, my solution to the problem is drive above and only above 4000rpm.

lol deep pockets??? :-k

i know what your saying, my 300k hud cluster does that, it bounces off 8 grand if you floor it, but your really probably around 4 or 5

Could this be my cluster or something else ?

I think its the cluster,

Mine just started doing it recently…

Only starting at 3000rpm ?

I have a similar problem but its my speedo thats doing it, if i’m at a standstill with the engine running sometimes it says that i’m going like 40 or whatever, then when i start to move it registers the correct speed.If i hit the gas it goes all the way to 180 also. Probably the same problem just on the speedo.

If the speedo’s getting stuck, then yeah that’s what it is. I’ve fixed this before on someone’s 240.

Did I mention i’m selling 240km/h speedometers that spin freely (2 left) for $180? :wink: