RUCA Heim Joint Gives Up

Well today while working on the car I noticed a pleasent suprise:

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/706/ruca14ky.jpg

http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/8804/ruca25ul.jpg

The cause, a seized heim joint that created bind and eventually failure.

The real reason behind this was an improper spec heim joint.
Although properly lubricated, the zinc coated steel was no match for corrosion.

In other words, this type of heim joint should not be used on a RUCA, especially experiencing Canadian winters.

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/5305/ruca39gs.jpg

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/8307/ruca41oq.jpg

The proper ball material should be stainless steel, no substitute.

$50 USD a peice, but well worth it. This is what I will be ordering, or something very similar.

http://www.mcmaster.com/library/20041019/2988K161L.GIF

I think everyone, including me, wants to know where you got 'em from.

Ebay specials?

Bing.

id also like to point out that an unsealed heimjoint should not be used in any situation like that…

thats brutal

GT

oh man spray all that salt off quicktime.

They look like a project silvia ruca, which are all over ebay.

alex is right, get rid of that salt before it eats your car.

yaay, I’m not the only person to break suspension parts;

subframe
TC to lower rad support bracket
upper strut mount

i beleive i sold that RUCa to titan,

it was one of the ebay-style RUCA’s that i do not bring up anymore and for this exact reason.

i’m glad you posted this up…

i do not list any of these parts on my site nor will i ever br bringing them up again.

as of this moment i have a shipment coming from the US of 60+ of the best rods ends i could possibly get for the multi-link that is made here in Canada.

QA1 XM series, their best.

3-piece, kevlar / teflon lined, self sealing race and a 18,000lbs radial load rating.

Titan, if you need new RUCA’s please let me know, i will hook u up.

very true, but you are going ot have a very hard time finding a rod end to match the thread pattern of that RUCA. it is a very coarse thread difficult to match in the US or Canada.

it would be even harder to find it in a telon lined bearing with a high load rating.

those rod ends shoudl never have been put on these arms

Use a helicoil then…

Teflon linings and high load ratings doesn’t mean the ends are inpenetrable to corrosion… If the teflon liners corrode, and the end binds like that with your new arms, the same result will happen…

[quote=“bing”]

very true, but you are going ot have a very hard time finding a rod end to match the thread pattern of that RUCA. it is a very coarse thread difficult to match in the US or Canada.

it would be even harder to find it in a telon lined bearing with a high load rating.

those rod ends shoudl never have been put on these arms[/quote]

The part I posted from McMasterCarr is the correct thread size and pitch.

M14x2

I already ordered it, it will be in tommorrow.

Impressive… perhaps Bing should start ordering from them…

^^^

i already contacted them last year when i was in the market for them.

they are an industrial supplier so even though they do have parts that will work i decided to go with a company that is purely automotive.

does that meet your approval bob?

do you mind my asking how much each rod ends was and what the specs are? i’d also like to see pics of it when it arrives.

$50 ea. usd is friggin nuts.

you can get Aurora’s best for about that.

IMO very cool of Bingaling to offer Titan a hookup on a replacement.

^^^

its a tough call,

i can warranty the ebay junk still, but only for a direct replacement.

on the stuff that has my name on it i can probably do better, and i will be obligated to warranty it anyways.

as a result i went with the best rod ends i could get to try and avoid the problems.

I totally hear ya - I’ll be honest - I was skeptical of the original RUCAs myself as I had heard mixed reviews. These new ones though sound like your not mucking around and they should be top quality.

I haven’t really been following them at all – other than the ends that you’re sourcing which we already know will be good quality, what about the rest of the RUCA, what style/material? Any reinforcements being welded in, etc? Do you already have a prototype? Pics maybe? :slight_smile:

In case you haven’t already, this would be a good time to pimp them and get us excited.

Well… no it doesn’t…

Just because the company is purely automotive, doesn’t mean it’s the best for the job.

You know me bing, I look at materials and potential over branding.

And the joint that Titan is picking up is a better piece given the materials and it wont gall assuming he remembers to anti seize which he no doubt will. Now stainless isn’t the strongest metal by far, but it’s certainly better then the heim joints being used. Overall it’s a better choice.

Of course it doesn’t have the teflon coating, but to be honest neither do most coilover pillow balls.

thats why I have not replaced any of the stock suspension arms…

no point…and it only intoduces more chance for failures

IMO

Most people do it for the adjustability, rather then the strength… However the heim joints are the weakest link in any case.