Running off external wastegate spring.

Anyone ever run off their wastegate spring only? I was thinking of running the two blue springs for my tail 38mm. It says it’s 23.5psi with the two together. I wonder if it will spike before it opens, or open early. I want to switch because my turbo smart boost controller likes to leak at idle.All because of the small fittings it has. I could step it down but thought running off the spring wouldn’t be a bad idea. Currently my tune if for 24psi.

I used to run my wastegate on the spring alone w/ out vacuum lines. and if i wanted more i would just put a vacuum line on the outside of the gate

running off the springs is fine, but right before its going to open it will spike up a few psi. Shouldnt be anything major.

my 240 is running off the spring right now. I will check for spikes when it hits the dyno.

Do you guys find that the spring rating is accurate to the amount of boost that the Boost Gauge reads? Also does your External gate leak when doing a boost leak test? My Turbosmart 38mm gate did. That’s why I haven’t tried this untill switching to the Tial gate I have now.

i have the 14psi spring in my Tial 44 Wastegate right now and it boost to 14psi and stays.

That’s all the info I needed. Thanks!

That should be with a vacuum side on the inside of the gate to help push it open…

I am not exactly following what you are saying here. But I do have a vacuum line going from my hot pipe to the side port on the wastegate.

do you have a vacuum line on any part of your wastegate?

yes on the side port of the wastegate.

Other wise it would blow open at random Psi’s. It also would flutter and be a hot mess…

It might sound kind of cool, but definitely would not be effective in building some boost