S13 Brake Rotors and Pads installation

Hey guys, i was thinking of changing my brake rotors and brake pads as my rear ones always make noise when i reverse and i think my brake pads are really worn out.
I been trying to search on google for installation how-to’s but i can’t seem to find any. But yeah, it is for a s13 240sx with ABS, and i was wondering if someone can tell me how hard it is to change both the front and rear brake pads as well as rotors and what are some possible difficulties that i might face while attempting to change my rotors and pads.
Any input and tips will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I’m gonna get into learning this better soon too.

From what i’ve seen, it seems like the hardest part is getting your old rotors off and unseizing rusty parts etc.

If you haven’t done your breaks yet, use impact tools to break everything loose after sparying with penetrating fluid. (Not WD40)

Find someone with experience and have them help you.

Dont wory, just label everything and you’ll be okay. The following is important: DO NOT PRESS THE BRAKE PEDAL when the caliper is off, or the piston will come out and you wont be able to get the caliper back on. You might need a caliper enlargement tool (which pushes the piston back into its cylinder) hence your existing pads are smaller than the new ones and your calipers are only open to the existing pads thickness and not the new pads thicknesses. Also take off the brakets that the calipers sit in and sand all the contact surfaces, you can use a metal filer just dont take off too much, you dont have to get rid of the rust on the contanct surfaces (along which parts that move touch) just make them smooth, if you take off too much your pads will rattle (like mine, bwahhh). Make sure all the sliders are sliding good and that the boots arent torn, lube up the sliders as much as you can with solid grease. Try not to get any brake lube on the friction surface of the pads/rotors hence they will smoke when you drive for a little. When you put on new pads/rotors drive easy, dont brake hard for the first few hundred km just to brake them in, otherwise you might damage them. A little smell is okay but if you have massive smoke its not good. When buying rotors, if you get cheap ones, make sure they dont need machining cause sometimes even new rotors need machining, only shops use those cause theyr cheaper and they can machine them for free, buying better rotors is cheaper hence it costs around 50 bucks to machines rotors. Get some contact grease and grease up all the bolts lightly before you put em in, tighten everything hard (not too hard) and apply contact grease where pads meet the caliper. Use contact grease only for contact purposes, greasing other parts with it might cause problems, good luck, dont be afraid, and you’ll be alright, jsut have everything ready, have someone experienced beside you to guide you it will be better. ALright peace

lol i cant belive you guys are making brakes out to be this hard

1st you dont need impact guns or air tools unless your a pussy and have 0 strength and dont want to break a sweat

unbolt the 2 bolts behind the caliper holding it on 19mm

pull off caliper

wiggle rotor and it comes off extremly easily i dont know why you would need to smash it lose unless its rusted on.

yeah dts is right, all you need is some grease, wrench set, and its GOOD to have a caliper pushing tool, if your caliper is somehow out too much, just use channel lock pliers and ROTATE the PISTON CCW (duh, counter clock wise) and is should screw back in

What about breaking in the rotor and pads? I thought you were supposed to brake hard first time out with the new brakes to get the friction material evenly deposited on the rotor?

And as far as pushing the pistons back into the caliper, IIRC you can use a large c-clamp to push the front ones in and needle-nose pliers to screw the rears in.

Overall replacing the rotors and pads is fairly straightforward but as mentioned earlier if it’s your first time is always good to have someone around who knows what they’re doing.
Good luck!

People without air tools commonly react this way. :twisted:

hey thanks guys, i really appreciate all your tips and comments! i found someone who is going to help me out, i will definitwely let u guys know how things went once i get it all done. :slight_smile: