S13 Rear lower strut mount

Ok, the threads are gone on one of the lower strut mounts in the rear, and I can’t get the nut off - it just spins in place. It looks like it’s a piece that can be hammered out, but it’s pretty big. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Replacing the whole LCA is a big pain in the ass, so if I can replace the mount itself I’d much rather do it.

if you have the tools, saw the bolt off, drill a hole through where it sits in there, put in a bolt with a nut, a big washer and some lock washers ? :-k <- tahts supposed to be an ‘iunno’ but i cuoldnt find it

Not sure - are you talking about one of these?

http://importnut.net/240pics/springshock/240springshock-07.JPG

1. If it was a smaller nut, you could try throwing in a couple of spacers and heat it up to try to get it to catch back onto one of the broken threads but with the size of this thing… - could be worth a try before grinding for 10-15 mins…

2. Grinding…
    (with caliper / disc out, you have bit more space) Small angle grinder (will take a while with this thing) then hammer it out from the nut side once the remainder of the nut falls off… If your nut is partially out and PITA since it’s spinning, you could throw in a lock spring(s)/jam half cut spacers on either side so it’s not moving while you grind…

Might have to heat it up with porta-torch or throw some lube on it once you cut off the nut in case the bolt side is stuck… if it turns already… just pop it out…

Thanks for the suggestions guys… I might have to go your way alesserfate

s1495, this is the bolt I’m taking about:

http://69.197.90.195/bolt.JPG

I could take a grinder to it, and I’ve tried a nut splitter, but the flange on it makes it pretty much impossible. I’ve also tried applying pressure to get it to catch the remaining threads… no go.

i thought and was talking about the rear suspension, is that where your problem is frmo that picture ? use a rotary metal grinder with a disk and just cut vertically along the flat surface of the nut, i just had to do that to remove the bolt that holds the rear upper seat in my car, it rouded completely so i cut it that way, good luck anyway…

Yeah, that nut at the back just spins and doesn’t catch any threads. I’m going to try to grind it off tomorrow without screwing teh threads on that bolt any more than they may already be.