S14 KA Engine RPM

SON if you can take a few mins to help me out that would be awesome!

My little story/background:
So when I got my car, the tachometer in the gauge cluster was broken. So I have been driving the car simply by feel and sound of the engine. Then I got a great deal for a Ractive tach so I figure I’ll hook it up and see how the engine revs - pretty sure that this tach doesn’t work all that well either. Yes I know the solution is to replace the gauge cluster but until I do I just want to see if this gauge is reading properly. Also since I drove almost a year without the tachometer if I can find out the info at the bottom I could put off the purchase as I need to replace my rusting exhaust. haha. Also right now the engine is stock with just an intake.

What I’m asking the owners of KA’s:
At what speeds does the KA redline at in 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

Thanks for your help! :slight_smile:

In third gear, your tach and speedo move in exact unison. Your tack needle will be pointing at the exact same clock position as your speedo needle at all speeds.

If you want to find out for yourself where the redlines are, just open it up and stay on the gas until the rev limiter kicks in.

It should really matter where it redlines, you almost never drive like that on the road anyway.

Thanks for input. I appreciate it.

Yeah I know you never get to redlining on the road, but it was just a point of reference so I can gauge the rest of the RPMs. I wasn’t sure if the KA’s had rev limiters.

yup, they do. First and second start to wine around 5G and the acceleration is pretty dead beyond that, it just gets noisier.

Ok then I’ve hit around 5G two or three times in second and third when I was testing out my new clutch after breaking it in.

I’ll check out the third gear bit and the limiter on an empty road on the weekend.